Main Quest

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
vv221

Re: Main Quest

Post by vv221 »

When starting openmw with --new-game, I start in the right cell but in a wrong place (screenshot attached) : under the trapdoor used to leave the boat.
I have the first dialog with Jiub and can set my name, then nothing happens (maybe the guard can't reach me because I'm not where I'm supposed to). I can't even move, only look around (normal, the guard doesn't speak to me).

I see nothing weird in the console, my output is the same as Greendogo's.

openmw 0.19.0 64-bit
Debian Sid
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yes, this happens to me as well. I start in the wrong place. Is there a problem with the code that places the player or objects at specific locations Zini/Scrawl?
vv221

Post by vv221 »

By turning collisions on I fall in the right place, in front of Jiub.
But the guard still never comes and I'm stuck here (no way to move).
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yeah, the guard's script is only activated within a certain distance of the player, I believe. So until that point, you can type EnablePlayerControls in the console window.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yes, this happens to me as well. I start in the wrong place. Is there a problem with the code that places the player or objects at specific locations Zini/Scrawl?
No problem. The player is placed in the right spot and is then supposed to be pulled down by gravity (if you open up the CS you can see that all NPCs are hovering a bit above the ground).

btw. you can have physics switched on on startup by using the --script-run switch (see ./openmw --help).
Yeah, the guard's script is only activated within a certain distance of the player, I believe. So until that point, you can type EnablePlayerControls in the console window.
The guard's script is running the whole time, but to restore the player's movability the guard needs to be indeed near the player. This obviously is of no use until we have implemented the AiTravel package.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Thanks Zini, I didn't even know that --help existed for some reason.

The following is a bit off-topic about the --help description for --script-run so I'm sticking it in a spoiler.
Spoiler: Show
Zini

Post by Zini »

I like the 3rd version. I'll add it later. Or maybe you would like to do it yourself (changes of this kind can be done complete through a web interface). Steps:

- register on github
- fork my repository
- select the file (apps/openmw/main.cpp)
- click edit
- change the text
- click commit changes
- send a pull request to my repository
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Done.

Edit: I should probably ask if I did it correctly, as that was my first time using "pull request".
Zini

Post by Zini »

Merged.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

That was easy. Thanks for teaching me how to do that.