Strange Collision!

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
TorbenC

Strange Collision!

Post by TorbenC »

Hello! I'm creating this topic at request of Sir_herrbatka.

There are a few problems with collision in OpenMW, it seems as though objects have collision where they shouldn't. For instance, spider webs have collision even though in Morrowind spider webs have no collision.

Apologies if it was incorrect to post a bug report here.. but I suppose this will be more of a discussion on OpenMW's collision implementation.

It is also worth mentioning that the collision on the imperial ship is working fine (you can't walk off the side of the boat in Seyda Neen).

My Specs:

Video Card: Radeon HD 5670
Processor: AMD FX 4100 Quad Core 3.60 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
OpenMW Version: 0.17.0 x64
Any more info needed? Ask me :)
Zini

Re: Strange Collision!

Post by Zini »

An example of where a collision happens when it shouldn't would be helpful. We need to be able to reproduce the problem, before there is any chance we can do something about it.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

Zini wrote:An example of where a collision happens when it shouldn't would be helpful. We need to be able to reproduce the problem, before there is any chance we can do something about it.
Sure thing, for a simple example of collision on plant leaves where it shouldn't be, head over to Seyda Need and walk into the bush sitting next to the big tree in the center of town.

Edit:

Another good example in Seyda Neen's Arille's Tradehouse. Head upstairs and jump on the first table to your right. Walking around will result in jumpy-ness because the cops, plates, bottles, forks, etc. all have collision on them (which they don't in Morrowind).
Last edited by TorbenC on 10 Sep 2012, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Confirmed. I think some meshes have a no-collision flag. Maybe we are not implementing that correctly. Or not at all.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

Zini wrote:Confirmed. I think some meshes have a no-collision flag. Maybe we are not implementing that correctly. Or not at all.
Alright, good to hear that you already have an idea of what the problem is!

I would lean more towards the "not at all" option seeing as if you pick up a ton of random items (none of which should have collision) and drop them around everywhere each one has collision. Cups, swords, hammers, lock picks, food, beer, etc.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Apparently the code for checking the no collision flag (or actually a collision flag) is there. I'll add an issue to the tracker.