Some Suggestions

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Zedd

Some Suggestions

Post by Zedd »

Hi all, I've been following this project for a while now and i would like to suggest some features which weren't in the original morrowind engine but would be great improvements (at least I think so). Most of them are HUD improvements and involve combat.

Combat
1. Adding hit/fatigue/magic points to the bars in the lower left just like in the menu mode. I think this would enhance combat experience, It's always useful to compare your own health with your enemy's health during combat.

2. a dmg inflicted/received number which pops up somewhere on the screen, this could be combined with 1. and shown in the bars, will make combat even easier to analyse/predict.

3. A whole new sign/icon/number put into the HUD (maybe to the right of the red/yellow health bar) and context menu that shows your total armor number, it would be cool to also see the armor of your enemy to, again, better evaluate combat and so give a better view of how would be the best way to terminate him ;).

4. Longer/adjustable bars. I always thought the bars where to short, especially with high levels, wich gave an unclear effect with barely changing stats.

5. Sneak attack gives extra dmg. no explanation required i think, except that morrowind is very unbalanced in the way you wanna play (stealth/magic/strength)

6. Mana regen.

7. Quick magic cast, enables you to use spells when equiped with your weapon in the heat of combat, I never understood why they implemented 'ready magic', it has no benefits at all, it only makes magic harder to use. Personally I would just take away the whole ready magic thing.

Misc

8. Using the same pop up menu when pickpocketing/looting an NPC as your own inventory menu. This would be just awesome and probably the hardest of my suggestions, but displaying the inventory of an npc as your own has so many cool assets. I always thought the container box (pickpocket) was weird because only half of the items were displayed. Now everything will be displayed but some will be locked, like the things that are being worn or quest related items. another asset would be that you can put things in the inventory of the npc which opens new quest possibilities. As a sneak masterer this would be highly usable when sneaking around a target to first evaluate the npc before attacking, so many many assets here.

9. Adjust the selling buying price to the merchandise lvl. Ever been high lvl merchandise with costly objects you wanna sell/buy? how long did you had to press the +/- button until the price was right? this should be automatically adjusted i think. But if you do this, care that you don't make us auto lvl because the prices are already higher/lower than the original ones ;).

10. more marks, but not infinite, preferably dependable on mysticism lvl. This would give the player a way better cause (instead of lower cost/higher change) to train his lvl. Now i think of it, it would be more logical to certain spells with lvls or enhance them or anything, but i didn't give this any thought so i'm just gonna shut up now :).

Ok, that will be all, I know that some (probably most) of my suggestions are on the verge of the openMW goal and are more for the modding community, but I wanted to put them all in and see what you guys think. sorry for bad English blablablabla.

thx for reading, you can take a brake now, then get on it! :D.
Chris

Re: Some Suggestions

Post by Chris »

I imagine most of the UI stuff will be modable to do what you want. I'd actually think it would be neat if we could take a webkit rendering engine and write the UIs in html/css(/js?), which would give exceptional control over them, more than simple xml and more on par with what Skyrim could do with Flash.
Zedd wrote: 6. Mana regen.
There's already a mod for vanilla Morrowind that does this.
7. Quick magic cast, enables you to use spells when equiped with your weapon in the heat of combat, I never understood why they implemented 'ready magic', it has no benefits at all, it only makes magic harder to use. Personally I would just take away the whole ready magic thing.
MCP has an option for this, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't get incorporated at some point (after 1.0 probably). Personally, though, I like having the ready spells as it gives a more tactical element to combat. You can't just throw off any spell regardless of what else you're holding. But this does work better with the dual-handed setup Skyrim has compared to Morrowind's and Oblivion's method.
9. Adjust the selling buying price to the merchandise lvl. Ever been high lvl merchandise with costly objects you wanna sell/buy? how long did you had to press the +/- button until the price was right? this should be automatically adjusted i think. But if you do this, care that you don't make us auto lvl because the prices are already higher/lower than the original ones ;).
Being able to type in the price directly may be easier. Maybe extra buttons or button combos to increase/decrease in greater steps... like control-click to move in increments of 10 and shift-click to move in increments of 100. Or maybe something like Oblivion's Haggle menu, except it only affects the initial asking price that you can still change.

Automatically adjusting the buy/sell price would influence the rate that Mercantile levels, though, which not everyone may want.
10. more marks, but not infinite, preferably dependable on mysticism lvl. This would give the player a way better cause (instead of lower cost/higher change) to train his lvl. Now i think of it, it would be more logical to certain spells with lvls or enhance them or anything, but i didn't give this any thought so i'm just gonna shut up now :).
I'd imagine this could already be done with scripting in vanilla.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I'd imagine this could already be done with scripting in vanilla.
nope

MW scripts can't store cell coordinates.
Zini

Post by Zini »

To be precise: You can not call script instructions for teleporting the player with variables. You have to use numeric literals instead. And that problem has already been addressed in OpenMW.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

wow, I had no idea that it's done! :D
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Well, It seems like all of suggestion are only post 1.0 version, and if HUD is directly modible there is no need for putting them in the basic engine. Although I'm really curious about point 8. . I noticed you guys already optimized the alchemy menu, so it doesn't have to be exactly like the old morrowind. Is it possible to have an NPC inventory menu just like the player has?

Thx for responding this quick.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The changes to the alchemy window were a minor modification that did not require a noticeable amount of additional work over a pure vanilla-MW solution. Anything beyond that will have to wait until 1.0.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Hmmm. How much work would incpcs, advskill and advlevel be?