Story and Mythology [SPOILERS]

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

ElderTroll

Re: Story and Mythology [SPOILERS]

Post by ElderTroll »

I like both, but they beg the question of whether they would require mwse. I imagine OpenMW support for that will come much later. So, planning for simpler script instructions would be wise.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

OpenMW will not support MWSE.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I see nothing in there that can not be done with vanilla MW scripting.

btw. we are unlikely to re-implement MWSE, but we will add most if not all of MWSE's functionality eventually.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Alright, I'll give it a shot from the top of my head.

PC visits uncle and his family on island. First night, strange sounds are heard. In the morning, the family turns out to have disappeared. Oh no, crisis! Asking around town, the villagers lost their usual warmth and keep dodging any direct questions about last night.

However, hints are dropped that crazy Old Man living just outside town is involved. At first, the man seems to be speaking riddles, but as the conversation continues, his babble turns out to be proper wordsmithing. Old Man tells PC about Evil Baddie in the mountains. Old Man could help by tapping into his wizard powers, but in order to do that he needs certain items in order to make a trance... drug... cloud... thing for himself. So armed with a few riddles in his journal, PC sets out to the nearby mountains.

To get to some of the stuff, PC needs to defeat Evil Baddie on several fronts: Show generosity until poverty, the intelligence of philosophers and loyalty to death. Twist! Evil Baddie turns out to be Protector of the Realm/Goddess of the Earth/ Tim McGraw, hereafter known Good All Along. GAA tells the story of the old man who is actually feared by many. He was once the village elder until he was driven mad by dark magic or whatnot. Attempting to dispel his curse of madness he will sometimes take people to do unspeakably evil things to them.

Good All Along also tells PC that PC was the first to pass these tests and that he is thus convinced that PC can rid the island from Old Evil. He gives PC items that Old Evil said he needed, but boobytrapped. PC takes the friends he somehow found along the way - like, at the end of each of GAA's tests - and returns to Old Evil. Old Evil then shows his hand and reveals to PC what he already knew. Boss Fight. Oh no, Old Evil turns out to be invincible because of his black magic. Player is handily defeated and kept in the basement with family until night.

Cackling evilly, Old Evil does his magic thing, attempting to lift the curse of insanity. It worked, but the trapped items made him vulnerable. PC manages to free himself and others. Final boss fight. Old Evil defeated.

PC returns with family to village. Yay. The End.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Some executive decisions were made on the IRC today regarding story elements by pvdk and yours truly, while Sir_Herrbatka *facepalmed* at us frantically and Hircine sat in the corner drawing maps and ranting about cannibalism and steampunk airships made from trololololium.

All in all it was a productive period of consciousness.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

as I said you didn't beat the neverwinter nights in terms of stupidity so it's not that bad.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I know, I'm just joking about the number of times you wrote *facepalm* :D
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

just three times :P
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Alright, so we have the story pretty much nailed down, but I think it was a mistake to discuss it on the forums, since it is so much easier to do on the IRC, in a place where the surprises won't be ruined and where conversation can happen more quickly.

Also, as a reminder, the purpose of having a story at all is to make it more natural when we show off the engine.

Any further discussion of the story and quests shall be minor quests. If you have any ideas that fit within the scope of the world we've already laid down (a town, a dungeon, a crypt, and a mine [if we can get someone to make the appropriate models, hint hint]) please toss those ideas out here. I can think of a pretty easy example: A man in the village sends you out to collect some ingredients for his potions or for a fish recipe. Bam, quest idea completed! See how easy that was? Now you try!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

One I D&Ded with my son:

An Inn Keeper needs your help to clean/kill out some rather large rats in the cellar that are preventing him from getting to the beer vats that he uses to serve his clients and to make his famous stew. Would be adventurer goes below and kills the rats, only to find out that the reward is the Inn's 'famous' stew. When asking about the stew (and the piece of tail sticking out), the Innkeep replies: "Secrets in the sauce." Yum!

It was at that point that my son lost his shit and told my wife what we where having for dinner.

Short and funny.