Any non programming tasks?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
WeirdSexy

Any non programming tasks?

Post by WeirdSexy »

Hello,

Sorry if this is a strange post or in the wrong place, it seems only the actual development team posts on this forum.

I've been checking the site regularly ever since I saw this project mentioned on the Bethesda forums. This is something I would be really happy to see completed.Unfortunately, I possess only a very minimal programming ability. I don't really have much functional knowledge of C++ at all. So, I realize that I'm lacking in probably the only skill you are looking for, but I just thought I would check to see if there were any more mindless tasks or some such that everyone else was too busy to bother with. If not, then I hope you will take my post for some encouragement that there is one more person watching your project and waiting for it to be completed.

Looking forward to testing out 0.11 :)

P.S. I did look at the issue tracker. Since I have no real experience with anything like this project, everything there seemed ... perhaps beyond my ability. I would like to help if I could though, so I didn't think it would hurt to ask.
sirherrbatka

Re: Any non programming tasks?

Post by sirherrbatka »

yo!

There are non coder tasks. We lack linux builder again. http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title=Formulae page is not complete and messy (I want to clean it, and add alchemy stuff but procrastination happens here).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Actually we have non-programming tasks on a regular basis. We often need to determine the formulae behind the MW game mechanics so we can reimplement them. This usually involves using MW and the TES-CS to setup a test scenario, measuring and then determining the formulae from the results.

We currently don't have any urgent needs, but you could start anyway with plugging the holes in our formula collection. There is a page somewhere on the wiki with the results.

It is also possible that there are a few research results n the old forum (archive section) that not have been wikified yet. I am not entirely sure about it, but it would be worth checking (probably the General section).

Also, we sometimes have wiki tasks, if you are comfortable with mediawiki.

Edit: too slow.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Edit: too slow.
Be quick or be dead ;-)
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

Another task would be updating the wiki for documentation. You need to get the knowledge out of people' heads and onto the wiki regarding the actual project proper, the resources and procedures needed to get things done, as well as setup instructions.

We lack all of this - having more people do that would also be another non-programming task.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I will certainly look into the formulae!

I do have a bit of linux experience. I will try building on linux and see how apt I am at that.
I've never really worked with a wiki before, I will try to learn some about it.

Thanks for the replies! I hope I can end up contributing something to this project.