Ogre Camera Control System

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
ElderTroll

Ogre Camera Control System

Post by ElderTroll »

CCS is a camera control system plugin for Ogre, one of the most popular open-source 3D graphics rendering engines. Ogre provides a powerful camera system, supporting both perspective projection and orthographic projection, different styles of rendering, field of view, etc. but its control (or animation) relies completely on the programmer.
Although some users have designed some specific camera systems (3rd person, first person, …) I found interesting the development of a more general camera control system.

It's key features are:

Plug&play: it should be easily incorporated to Ogre projects without the need of modifying the underlying architecture of the projects.

Expandable: it should be easily customizable, incorporating user defined/contributed camera control modes.

At the moment some basic camera modes have been implemented in CCS (free, orbital, chase, through target, etc.) and they work fine but it should still be considered to be in an early stage.
This project is hosted on SourceForge and its source code is available under the MIT license.
CCS could be useful for modders and total conversion projects using OpenMW. I'll admit that I don't even know if we already have a fully functional camera system. Here are some links.

download: http://ogre-ccs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ogre-ccs/

precompiled demo: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogre-ccs/files/

Since the project is under the MIT license, I'm not sure if it could be incorporated directly into OpenMW or not. But I've been curious to ask about as there are many interesting plugins for Ogre3d not under the GPL v3.
scrawl

Re: Ogre Camera Control System

Post by scrawl »

What's more interesting is this http://sourceforge.net/p/oics/home/Home/ (from the same author as ogre CCS)

I am currently evaluating it a bit (and PM'ed some questions to the author) but from what I've seen now, it would easily replace all the current Mangle/openengine input layer crap while having built-in support for user key rebinding. Pretty neat.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

This would allow for a variety of input devices? I know this might sounds blasphemous, but I think it would be a lot of fun to play Morrowind on a big HD tv with a 360 controller or maybe kinect and wiimote. Or maybe use a couple of joysticks as a jockey at a the silt strider races... that would be a strange mod.

Are there other possibilities to this that I'm missing?
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

ElderTroll wrote:This would allow for a variety of input devices? I know this might sounds blasphemous, but I think it would be a lot of fun to play Morrowind on a big HD tv with a 360 controller or maybe kinect and wiimote. Or maybe use a couple of joysticks as a jockey at a the silt strider races... that would be a strange mod.

Are there other possibilities to this that I'm missing?
You can just use key mapping software and bind keys to the controller. I have done this to play games that have no native support for a controller.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Any news on the camera control system?

This project recently added a zelda camera mode. I love z-targetting. I could see some really amazing mods using that.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Mostly useless for us. So the answer is no. We are not going to use that.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I agree it's not a good idea to introduce a dependency for such a simple thing. If we wanted new camera modes post-1.0 we'd be better off writing them from scratch. Also, it's not possible to do camera collision with objects in a generalised library.