Error: Compatible Water Shader issue with OMW

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
jaredvalentine

Error: Compatible Water Shader issue with OMW

Post by jaredvalentine »

My files are almost complete with the mods I want before I begin my playthrough. However, one specific issue has been preventing this.

I downloaded an OpenMW compatible water shader mod, where you replace the water_fragment.glsl file within OpenMW/resources/shaders. Ended up with the bottom half of my screen turned pure white. Troubleshooting searches seem to end with toggling on or off the water shader or refraction from within the game options menu>video>water. All this does is turn on or off the white bar filling half the screen while leaving the water to look exactly as how it did before. I've tried downloading every OpenMW compatible water shader I can find and have the same issue.

Following advice, I have the original water_fragment.glsl saved to a backup folder outside of my progam files, so I can revert back to vanilla when one doesn't work.

This has been quite frustrating with the lack of information online about the issue and I am pretty certain there's an easy fix that I'm merely overlooking. I'm new to modding, so when compiling my files I've been heavily relying on the knowledge of others, description information on the download pages, and/or the readme files authors include with the download.

Any help would be appreciated as this is kind of preventing me from playing, having everything looking nice and smooth and then this janky looking water in the middle of it all. I can insert an image of how the problem looks, if needed, however it's exactly as I describe: everything looks normal halfway to the top and the bottom half of the screen is pure white.

Thanks for reading!
AnyOldName3

Re: Error: Compatible Water Shader issue with OMW

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Things that have to go in the resources directory are only compatible with the one OpenMW version they were made for. The water shader your found probably just wasn't made for the OpenMW version you're running.
jaredvalentine

Post by jaredvalentine »

They're advertised as compatible with OpenMW, simply says to replace water_fragment.glsl and water_nm with the ones from the mod.

This is why I can't seem to get help :( others assume it's not for the mod, despite it specifically saying so.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48701
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

An OpenMW team member has told you the mod won't work, and you should trust that above what the mod author says. They've not updated the mod for four years, so it's not like they've been keeping abrest of changes to OpenMW.