Suggestion on Server Structure

Everything having to do with OpenMW's TES3MP branch.
micidre

Suggestion on Server Structure

Post by micidre »

I have had a random thought on how the server stucture could be layed out. And I thought this is a better place to post this as the construction of this server is more likely to happen with TES3MP, oppose to the main OpenMW, but later on it could be implemented into the main OpenMW.

The idea is simple, but complex to implement. It is a server simlar to that of Fable, being able to see other players in the world, if an option is selected and no "Hard Mods"(for lack of a better term), as opposed to LUA, are installed. This would allow you to invite players to join you world, or request to join theirs. The problems is that it would require some sort of Network of Servers, but it would be scaleable as more people host the servers. Also the servers would be limited throughput.

As I said this is a random idea that would be hard to implement, but maybe easier to implement into the base game, but I dont know I am not a coder or a server engineer.
micidre

Re: Suggestion on Server Structure

Post by micidre »

The server itself, could be a lightwieght server only recieving and transmitting XYZ coord, and the players could simply be Wisps.
micidre

Re: Suggestion on Server Structure

Post by micidre »

Another Idea. The Client connect to a Master server, maybe a personal one like a DNS, then some of the servers requiring a password are entered in the Master server level. But the main difference in this idea is have it so that multiple servers can be clustered together with different landmasses being different servers.

These clustered servers could share data, have slight tweaks and others having different sets of data (as in a new character). An example of this is maybe one cluster has two servers, Capital Wasteland and Mojave Wasteland, these would share data, but maybe with slight tweaks to the wording or different effects on abilities, ie a perks that increases damage against Ghouls is 10% in CW and 7.5% in MW.

Likewise, another server might be Morrowind and Oblivion, which would obviously be completely different characters, but also could transfer specific things across like choices in stories that changes a quest, obviously for a Mod.