light armor progression mod

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
LoneWolf

light armor progression mod

Post by LoneWolf »

All armor types (light. medium, heavy) in MW suffer from a lack of progression and big jumps in quality. My personal favorite is Light Armor, so I Iooked for mods that change that.

I found a few that change armor progression, but don't like them. They change too much or follow a concept I disagree with.

So i'm starting my own mod.

Thoughts :

- no changes in game mechanics
- Only touch generic light armor, leave pre-enchanted armors alone
- stay as close to vanilla as possible : minimize changes and only use armors from morrowind, tribunal & bloodmoon
- roleplaying is important

light armor sets with 8+ items : Nordic Fur, Netch Leather, Chitin , Wolf, Dark Broitherhood, Glass

Wolf armor is unique to Solstheim and fits that environment very well.Dark brotherhood armor is for assassins. Glass is best light armor in the game (and pretty). No need to change them.

That leaves 3 sets (nordic fur, netch leather & chitin) .
Chitin is the lightest, strongest, and has 10 items[1]
Netch leather has 11 items, weighs more and is weaker then chitin.
Nordic fur has 9 items and is the heaviest of the 3.

- Nordic fur is weakest, keep it there.

possible changes :
Netch leather AR is now 5/7 , increase it by 5 to 10/12 .
Chitin is now at 10/12 , add 10 so it becomes 20/22 .

This will lead to the folloiwng spread for light armor :

Code: Select all

Nordic Fur 5
Netch leather 10/12
Wolf 15
Chitin 20/22
Dark Brotherhood 30
Glass 50
It would be nice to have something between DB and glass, maybe non-emchanted snow wolf armor, but that is beyond the scope of this mod.
Please let me know what you think .

[1] not counting chitin mask helm as that's identical to chitin helm .
LoneWolf

Re: light armor progression mod

Post by LoneWolf »

I have started a new playthrough to test the above changes .

light armor progression.omwaddon

Since I play with armorer skill expanded Part 1, I also made light armor progression for armor skill expanded.omwaddon

feel frtee to download them for testing.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Started with nordic fur, switched to netch leafter armor when armorer skill got to 25. Will prob stay with netch until armorer reaches 50 .

Sofar I like it, have noticed a side effect : npcs wearing netch / chitin also benefit from the higher AR. This makes them a bit harder to kill.

The strongest opponent in the FG telvanni agents quest wears almost full netch leather armor and was definitely harder to kill then i'm used to.

I don't feel that's a problem, but something to mention in the readme.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Seems I made a mistake :

weight netch leather > nordic fur > chitin
price netch leather < nordic fur < chitin .

That suggests netch should be lowest tier, on the other hand boiled netch helm/cuirass have a higher AR then normal netch or nordic fur .