Level Cap Removal/skills over 100 in 0.48+

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
BlueSkySystems

Level Cap Removal/skills over 100 in 0.48+

Post by BlueSkySystems »

I remember that once on Reddit devs mentioned removing level caps would be possible post-0.48? I'm not 100% sure, but if so, where would one start? I'm not specifically familiar with Lua, but I have experience with C and C++ and understand the basics of other languages so I suspect it won't be hard if someone points me to the subsystems that would need to be updated to support a level cap removal/over 100 skill value. Clearly augmentation spells work post-100, so the system isn't gonna crash, but how do we update the routines for leveling?
lambda

Re: Level Cap Removal/skills over 100 in 0.48+

Post by lambda »

As far as I know, level caps have not been de-hardcoded in 0.48; on the other hand, there is an nGCD version for it, using the new lua functionality introduced in 0.48, that works around these limits by adding fortify effects -- can be found in the openmw modding guide.
BlueSkySystems

Post by BlueSkySystems »

Hmm I see.

I'm not into the way nGCD works but thanks. I'll look into it I guess.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

The method of adding permanent fortify skill / stat spells to allow going over 100 has been in use as long a go as 2004 and works with the original engine.

(My prefered levleing mod Madd leveler does use it and it's final version 1.0b was released that year).

https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... _core.html does list fields for spells, but I can't determine if it is possible to cast spells from within an openmw-lua script .
lambda

Post by lambda »

LoneWolf wrote: 23 May 2023, 11:48 The method of adding permanent fortify skill / stat spells to allow going over 100 has been in use as long a go as 2004 and works with the original engine.
I am fuzzy on the details, so do correct me here, but what I had in mind was that, and here I am quoting the openmw modding site as the only GCD version I have ever tried was Galsiah's and a long tine ago and in the original engine, is that the first functioning GCD version for openmw by Greywander relied on some bugged behavior that is corrected in v0.48. For v0.48 and all future openmw versions, you have to use the Lua version.

By the way, where can this last version of Madd Leveler be found?
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

lambda wrote: 25 May 2023, 10:00 I am fuzzy on the details, so do correct me here, but what I had in mind was that, and here I am quoting the openmw modding site as the only GCD version I have ever tried was Galsiah's and a long tine ago and in the original engine, is that the first functioning GCD version for openmw by Greywander relied on some bugged behavior that is corrected in v0.48. For v0.48 and all future openmw versions, you have to use the Lua version.

By the way, where can this last version of Madd Leveler be found?
ncgdmw had issues for some time. I think someone ported it for use in TES3MP (which had/has its own lua version) . I'm not sure but think the current oprenmw-lua version of ncgdmw was ported again from that.

I found Madd leveler on morrowind modding history (which no longer functions) , but the wayback machine has it : https://web.archive.org/web/20161103134 ... d-90-11157 .

A famous mod authot, abot (who is not a fan of openmw I think) created a very useful site to find mods from MMH or Fliggerty .
You can find it at https://modlist.altervista.org/mmh/index.php , the download links do work.