openmw-lua in v0.48

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
lambda

openmw-lua in v0.48

Post by lambda »

The public release of openmw v0.48 is near (I think), and with it, openmw-lua. So I would like to ask a few questions as to what is possible to do with this version (and not say, using the development 0.49 branch). The mods I would like to write, are balance-type mods; in general, they would be run-once-at-starting-the-game global scripts that would crawl through the existing records of some given type and make some changes. To make it work, here is what I envision I would need:

1. Import pure Lua code libraries.
- openmw-lua would be useless if it did not have this basic mechanism to partition the code in digestible chunks, but I still want to make sure this is possible in some way or another.

2. Read and write data files.
- I prefer to have as much data-driven code as possible, which implies openmw-lua must be able to read, say, plain text files; There are obvious security concerns with unfettered access to the file system, so for this specific purpose, one only needs read access to files within the purview of openmw's vfs. Write access is to be able to log or say, munge some data, write to some file, process this file, etc.

3. Crawl through records.
- one ought to be able to iterate through all records of a given type and then update/delete them as needed. So, is it possible at the moment to do that? Are there some record types with no API yet?

Thanks for any and all answers.
LoneWolf

Re: openmw-lua in v0.48

Post by LoneWolf »

I don't have the answers to your questions, but do think https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... index.html will help , even though it probably targets 0.49 . (If there is a 0.48 version of the doc I can't find it)