OpenMW Launcher

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
pvdk

OpenMW Launcher

Post by pvdk »

Hey,

As I posted in this thread: I fixed the Ogre.cfg bug.
Now I want to move on to the openmw.cfg but I have a hard time remembering what needs to be fixed, sorry :)

Zini, can you please recap the current issue with the launcher?

Regards,
pvdk.
Zini

Re: OpenMW Launcher

Post by Zini »

This thread sums up the configuration situation.

Currently with the launcher the biggest problem is that only one openmw.cfg file is considered for reading and that the file is then written to this location.

The launcher should merge the openmw.cfg files instead (data and plugins receive special treatment though; see the thread I linked above).

The launcher should only write to the user location (openmw.cfg and other cfg files). Also, when writing openmw.cfg only those parts read from the user location and those parts generated by the launcher should be written (the merged data from other locations should not be written to the user location).
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Right, I get it.

Two questions:
1.What about Ogre.cfg? It seems it only gets read from the user directory. Maybe also global but on Linux the file is not writeable and on Windows user and global were the same?

2. What about the local openmw.cfg? Only read/merge, never write?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

I made some modifications in launcher code related to configuration changes, please see:
https://github.com/lgromanowski/openmw/ ... 818#diff-0
https://github.com/lgromanowski/openmw/ ... 512#diff-0
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Does this merge with the changes I made recently? Specifically this commit?

It looks like it does but please send me a pull request or tell me how to pull your changes.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

pvdk wrote:Does this merge with the changes I made recently? Specifically this commit?

It looks like it does but please send me a pull request or tell me how to pull your changes.
I don't see "next" branch on your github fork - should I send you pull request to pvdk:master?

// EDIT: Pull request sent (using pvdk:master as a base)
Zini

Post by Zini »

1.What about Ogre.cfg? It seems it only gets read from the user directory. Maybe also global but on Linux the file is not writeable and on Windows user and global were the same?
The launcher should never write to local or global. On no platform and for no file. Never!

Originally the plan was to look for Ogre.cfg in different locations, but the improved config system will only look for it in the user location. I don't think we get into trouble, if we limit the launcher to the user location; even for the current config system.

Please note, that lgro's changes are for 0.12.0. Your fixes are still meant for 0.11.0.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Ok, it's all clear now. Will start coding tomorrow. In the meantime: can someone on Windows confirm the Ogre changes in my branch work?

About Igro's fixes: for 0.11 these won't be included then. Too bad :(
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Done! I hope the code makes sense, I'm going to bed now :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

About Igro's fixes: for 0.11 these won't be included then. Too bad
These are a part of a large change and we can't really release them without the other parts finished. This will take a while. We are still planning to release 0.11 soon (what ever soon means in this context).