v0.46.0 Jean Moniel Floating out of chair

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
DivergentDroid

v0.46.0 Jean Moniel Floating out of chair

Post by DivergentDroid »

So, excited to start a new .46 version of OpenMW I start up the game, walk into the Census and Excise Office and first thing I see is Jean Moniel rise up out of his chair! Yep.. now I know I'm off to a good start! LOL - I didn't report this as a bug because I'm sure someone else has noticed this happen before but it's funny. My working theory is that Jean got his hands on one of Tarhiel's levitation scrolls and of course things didn't go as planned !
lysol

Re: v0.46.0 Jean Moniel Floating out of chair

Post by lysol »

There is no character sitting on a chair in Morrowind, so you are using a mod. Mods like these are not supported yet, which is why the collision system "pushes" the character up in the air.

By the way, Tarhiel's scrolls do not give levitation, they just increase your acrobatics. ;)
DivergentDroid

Post by DivergentDroid »

Lysol wrote, "There is no character sitting on a chair in Morrowind so you are using a mod"

Huh? - If I'm using a mod, I don't know anything about it. I have the standard Morrowind install GOTY with MGSO installed that I play for my original engine game. I simply used that because it was already installed when I set up OpenMW. If this character is something MGSO added, I didn't have any clue it did that. I double checked and MGSO is the Only mod I have installed but it's got lots of bits and pieces so who knows what it installed. ( I would Not think that setting OpenMW to use that MGSO modded Morrowind would actually use anything but the original Morrowind files it needed to work...?)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Sounds definitely like MGSO's "fault". If you imported the Morrowind.ini during OpenMW's installation process, the launcher also copies the list of active data files, which might be the culprit. Moreover, any data files added to your "Morrowind\Data Files" directory will be used, because that is one of OpenMW's default resource directories.
DivergentDroid

Post by DivergentDroid »

Atahualpa wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 08:48 Sounds definitely like MGSO's "fault". If you imported the Morrowind.ini during OpenMW's installation process, the launcher also copies the list of active data files, which might be the culprit. Moreover, any data files added to your "Morrowind\Data Files" directory will be used, because that is one of OpenMW's default resource directories.
I see. Thanks to both you and Lysol. Now I know that I will need to reinstall another copy of Morrowind without MSGO for use with OpenMW so if I run into problems I will at least know it's not the resource files doing. I know MGSO is old and it's a copy I had backed up many years ago. I have seen STEP and it's sister thread on a modded Morrowind at the Nexus but they have problems with OpenMW. Is there an OpenMW friendly tutorial for updating the graphics that I should use?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

DivergentDroid wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 08:57 Is there an OpenMW friendly tutorial for updating the graphics that I should use?
A good starting point would be https://modding-openmw.com/. There are tons of information about OpenMW-compatible mods and several lists to modify your game, ranging from "nearly vanilla" to "complete overhaul". You can also use our wiki's Mod status page to check mod compatibility.
DivergentDroid

Post by DivergentDroid »

Atahualpa wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 13:14
DivergentDroid wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 08:57 Is there an OpenMW friendly tutorial for updating the graphics that I should use?
A good starting point would be https://modding-openmw.com/. There are tons of information about OpenMW-compatible mods and several lists to modify your game, ranging from "nearly vanilla" to "complete overhaul". You can also use our wiki's Mod status page to check mod compatibility.
I came across your Wiki mod status page earlier but found some mods they said was working with a green check mark do not work at least with the latest version of OpenMW. For instance "Boots of Blinding Speed Tweak" which was checked in 2017 with version 0.42.0 does not work, at least for me. I didn't know you guys maintained that site.

I haven't seen modding-openmw.com, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

DivergentDroid wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 13:33 For instance "Boots of Blinding Speed Tweak" which was checked in 2017 with version 0.42.0 does not work, at least for me. I didn't know you guys maintained that site.
Could you please double-check? The mod only modifies the boots' enchantment which shouldn't be a problem at all.
DivergentDroid

Post by DivergentDroid »

Atahualpa wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 13:37
DivergentDroid wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 13:33 For instance "Boots of Blinding Speed Tweak" which was checked in 2017 with version 0.42.0 does not work, at least for me. I didn't know you guys maintained that site.
Could you please double-check? The mod only modifies the boots' enchantment which shouldn't be a problem at all.
You are correct. When I reinstalled a fresh copy of Morrowind for use with OpenMW, I must have still had some bits and pieces of MGSO still in the Morrowind folder. I had to manually delete the folder then reinstall again. The Boots tweak does work as advertised. Good thing too because I could not get Dram Bero to discuss the Vassir-Didanat Ebony Mine as there was no option for this discussion in his dialog list. I was starting to think OpenMW was hard wired from such exploits but that works now too as advertised. Thanks.

Now for the hard part.. finding out what replacement mods MGSO used so I can recreate the experience I had before. ( I know it used Better Bodies and Better Clothing but don't know the rest) - I don't want to too heavily mod the game just some replacement models and textures. To that end have you seen this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1433300871 ? It suggests that you can use MGSO with OpenMW as long as you don't use MGE and MCP. My thinking is this would be an easy quick way to get the models and textures I had before working without having to search for everything MGSO did and redownload new copies of all these bits and pieces.. what do you think?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I've never tried to "install" MGSO on OpenMW - could work, could lead to problems...

If you want a complete list of mods included in MGSO, you can find it on our wiki: MGSO.