balance in openmw

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
alexandr939

balance in openmw

Post by alexandr939 »

In openmw, is the balance in the game the same? Do the enemies appear in the same places as in the original? Are they the same level? The same randomness? тот же auto leveling?
Or does openmw have its own way?
Time4Tea

Re: balance in openmw

Post by Time4Tea »

Yes, it's all the same. It uses the same data files as the original game, which is where most of those things are specified.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Time4Tea is right, although I've to point out that there currently are some small differences between the original engine's behaviour and OpenMW's one. Gameplay-wise that is. What comes to my mind:
  • Birthsigns: Attribute bonuses are treated as fortify effects and don't affect an attribute's base value. So choosing the Lady birthsign will not increase your base endurance and, thus, won't lead to increased HP gains on level-up. In exchange, you can increase your endurance to a higher level this way. (Issue #1751)
  • Traders: You can't overstock traders in OpenMW, i.e, selling them restocking items to increase the amount of items the trader offers next time. (Issue #2473)
  • Corprus: Some minor differences when you're healed from the disease. (Issue #4623)
  • ... and more (known and unknown)
The thing is that most of these differences are barely noticeable and shouldn't affect your game at all (unless you're trying to exploit bugs or maxing out your character's efficiency). OpenMW has been fully playable for years, and I dare say that we have reached a point where OpenMW's gameplay is almost indistinguishable from the vanilla one - apart from QoL changes and some visual stuff, of course.
Arman47

Post by Arman47 »

Does anybody can help to change NPC's priorities in combat? In vanila version when you summon creature NPC choose to attack the creature, but in openmw they prefer to attack me, which is smart, but I need old version of behavior.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Just did a quick test in the original game and in OpenMW 0.46.0 (some older nightly) respectively.

Summoned Creatures:
  • 1x Ancestral Ghost
  • 1x Daedroth
  • 1x Scamp
Enemy: 1x Daedroth

Result in both engines: The hostile Daedroth initiated combat, my summoned creatures started to fight it, and the enemy turned to them to fight back. Once my character got close to the Daedroth, it started attacking him instead, but as soon as my char retreated, it turned to the summons again.

Could you please specify:
  • What version of OpenMW were you using?
  • What was the combat situation like?
  • Have you checked the original game's behaviour in that particular setup to verify your findings?
Arman47

Post by Arman47 »

- What version of OpenMW were you using?
I'm using the same OpenMW 0.46.0 and latest GOG version of Morrowind.

- What was the combat situation like?
I went to one of the caves near to Seyda Neen, where some smugglers hiding. I summoned Ancestral Ghost and ran back to make some distance but the enemy chose to chase me and fully ignored the creature.

- Have you checked the original game's behaviour in that particular setup to verify your findings?

Yes I did and it's just like you described. Enemies able to be discract by summoned creatures.
Equinox

Post by Equinox »

I have this issue too. It should be whoever is closer gets attacked. But the enemy almost always chases the leader.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Keep in mind that some creatures (such as ancestral guards or dremoras) have 100% immunity to normal weapon. So NPC's without magic skills and magic/silver weapons simply can not harm such creatures, so they just select an another target (a player character in this case).
xirsoi

Post by xirsoi »

But that wouldn't be the case in the OP's example, as they were attacking the smugglers in Addamasartus, who shouldn't have any immunities.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

xirsoi wrote: 19 May 2020, 21:52 But that wouldn't be the case in the OP's example, as they were attacking the smugglers in Addamasartus, who shouldn't have any immunities.
But the Ancestral Ghost should be immune to normal weapons which (according to akortunov) leads to the AI changing combat targets.