Separate the config file

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
1Mac

Separate the config file

Post by 1Mac »

I was entering lighting settings for vstatek’s shaders and realized the process would be a lot less tedious if the lighting settings were in a different file from the rest of the settings in the config file. That way modders could provide a file that could be swapped out with the original lighting settings file. It would also make preserving and restoring those original settings much easier.

There may be a similar benefit to taking the same approach to settings for mods; i.e. bsa registration, data paths, and load order could be in yet another config file. The benefit here seems less obvious, but maybe mod list authors would find it useful.

I imagine the config file is the way it is because it reflects how the original Morrowind.ini file is structured, but is there any reason that structure must be preserved? Whether in two or three, I think separating the current config file into new files would be very useful.
AnyOldName3

Re: Separate the config file

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Eventually, all the fallback settings are supposed to be moved to game files (omwaddons and omwgames), settings.cfg, or just dropped altogether. Adding an extra pre-1.0 way of doing things distracts from work that would bring the proper solution closer, and also means that when the proper solution arrives, people will be cross if we remove the temporary one.
1Mac

Re: Separate the config file

Post by 1Mac »

Ah, so is the plan to be able to change lighting settings with an omw plugin?