Yes you can run openMW on chromebook (through crouton linux)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
silentthief

Yes you can run openMW on chromebook (through crouton linux)

Post by silentthief »

A couple of beers and a little persistence and I was able to install openmw on chromebook (through the crouton linux chroot) and it did not fail. Will have to test this to make sure so I have to now install the source files (as in, morrowind itself).

Will keep you all updated, but now if anyone asks this is possible

ST
davidcernat

Re: Yes you can run openMW on chromebook (through crouton linux)

Post by davidcernat »

Great job! Useful information indeed.
icecream95

Post by icecream95 »

This will only work on Chromebooks with an Intel (or AMD) CPU.

For ARM Chromebooks, you will have to dual-boot, and if you're lucky recompile the kernel and Mesa.

If you're unlucky, you will be recompiling the kernel many times, trying 15 blob drivers on a number of github repos until you find one that works, going through all the combinations of options for gl4es, writing elaborate scripts using xdummy, compiling various versions of OSG to find one that doesn't segfault every 15 minutes, reverting commits to OpenMW from 5 years ago and thinking how lucky you are to get 15 fps.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

icecream95 wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 01:07 This will only work on Chromebooks with an Intel (or AMD) CPU.

For ARM Chromebooks, you will have to dual-boot, and if you're lucky recompile the kernel and Mesa.

If you're unlucky, you will be recompiling the kernel many times, trying 15 blob drivers on a number of github repos until you find one that works, going through all the combinations of options for gl4es, writing elaborate scripts using xdummy, compiling various versions of OSG to find one that doesn't segfault every 15 minutes, reverting commits to OpenMW from 5 years ago and thinking how lucky you are to get 15 fps.
It looks like you know a thing or two about this subject, as I saw your comment on this topic - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5988&start=10

Yes, it does look like it would be a difference with ARM chromebooks, which I would think means that the setup would be more like on android than through linux. I am not an expert on android setup though, I was able to use crouton with linux with minimal issues

ST
icecream95

Post by icecream95 »

silentthief wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 17:06 Yes, it does look like it would be a difference with ARM chromebooks, which I would think means that the setup would be more like on android than through linux. I am not an expert on android setup though, I was able to use crouton with linux with minimal issues

ST
Setup is more similar to the RPi, except that the non-free drivers from the SoC vendors are really hard to get working properly.

Recently, it's become a lot easier on some chromebooks, as they have reverse-engineered GPU drivers in Mesa, which Just Work™.

Some chromebooks do support running Android apps, so that could be a way of installation for them.