Calling All Gamepad Gamers

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
mikjames

Calling All Gamepad Gamers

Post by mikjames »

I don't know what it is about the Xbox One controller, it's perfect curves, minimal pressure required to press those buttons, or the fact that you can hit the shoulder buttons and triggers with the same finger positioning. Anyways I love playing with a controller, mouse and keyboard just doesn't work for me. I was excited to see that the controller is supported in Openmw, but I'm not sure that the priorities are in the right place. I enjoy analog movement as much as the next guy, but it's not that much of an improvement over mapping wasd to a gamepad. Everything else that has been done with a gamepad in Openmw could be accomplished in 5 minutes with the Steam controller configuration utility.

Looking back at the Xbox version of Morrowind, it provides a good starting point for what a controller interface should provide. Why not ditch the mouse all together and allow the left thumbstick to navigate through menu options and in game dialog choices? Why not map the B button/cancel button to close those pesky notification popup menus so we don't have to move the mouse cursor to close them?
I don't want to sound like I'm crapping all over someone's hard work here, just providing some feedback, and no I don't have the skills to implement any of my ideas myself nor do I know if they're even feasible on this engine.

To me the idea of Openmw was a viable modding platform that would allow people to get around the hard coded limitation of Morrowind and implement pretty much anything they want. Why put all this work into getting controllers working if it won't provide much tangible benefit over the Steam configuration? I don't care if I can move my character at any desired speed increment, I care about efficiently navigating through the bloated menu systems of morrowind so I can actually enjoy the game.
raevol

Re: Calling All Gamepad Gamers

Post by raevol »

This is a much-needed area of improvement for OpenMW, the issue is we don't have anyone contributing code to make it better. If you're able to code this stuff, we would be happy to receive your contributions!
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

If gamepad UI is improved in future releases of OpenMW, I hope this will include PlayStation controllers, since I'm currently playing (with difficulty) OpenMW with my PS2 controller.
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

raevol wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 22:31 This is a much-needed area of improvement for OpenMW, the issue is we don't have anyone contributing code to make it better. If you're able to code this stuff, we would be happy to receive your contributions!
I've only ever done some light scripting in the oblivion cs, it would be a steep learning curve and I'm honestly more excited about skywind. According to the release notes there have been recent improvements to the gamepad implementation, so I thought someone was working on it.
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

argonvegell wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 12:55 Image
If gamepad UI is improved in future releases of OpenMW, I hope this will include PlayStation controllers, since I'm currently playing (with difficulty) OpenMW with my PS2 controller.
Use steam big picture mode to configure the controller for Xbox one inputs.
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

mikjames wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 19:47 Use steam big picture mode to configure the controller for Xbox one inputs.
No access to Steam though.
mikjames

Post by mikjames »

argonvegell wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 06:01
mikjames wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 19:47 Use steam big picture mode to configure the controller for Xbox one inputs.
No access to Steam though.
If you own a pc, you have access to Steam. Install it and add your games to Steam, you don't need to buy anything off the steam store to use the controller configuration for free. Trust me it's better than any of the alternatives, I've used playstation controllers with Pinnacle Game Profiler, Xpadder, etc, nothing compares to Steam.

By the way, if you can get your hands on an original playstation 1 controller in good condition, don't pass it up. The buttons feel more responsive than the ps2 controller due to the lack of pressure sensitivity, and the thumbsticks require only the lightest pressure to move them, there really is no better performing controller than an original playstation controller. The Xbox One controller is a close second, feels better in the hands, but I'd take a ps1 controller any day if I could find one.

Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

Steam Controller Configuration has a lot of options and works really well compared to anything else out there. But if you're looking for a close second that's also free, its own program and is open source, check out Antimicro.

https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro/releases