Sudden FPS Drop

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Alpharius

Sudden FPS Drop

Post by Alpharius »

Howdy, I don't often use forums, so forgive any mistakes I may have made in posting this.

I recently decided to start a, practically, entirely vanilla Morrowind playthrough, since my last attempts to play Morrowind have all been heavily modded. So I went and finally got OpenMW, and for the last four-ish hours of play its worked wonderfully, highest settings with the lowest frame rate I noticed at 55, and the highest at 230. Launched OpenMW today, with no changes having been made, and suddenly I'm getting 10-15FPS at the most. Not just in game, in the main menu, pause menu, and the actual game itself. Did my usual of making sure stuff was running as admin, had high priority, re-launched several times and loaded earlier saves. Nothing. I'm at a loss as to what could've caused this.

I'm not considering this a bug, since this is probably something on my end that I'm not familiar enough with OpenMW to realize. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Edit:

Well, the problem fixed itself. I launched OpenMW a few moments ago and everything was back to normal. Very strange, the problem no longer needs fixing, but now I'm wondering what could've caused it.
raevol

Re: Sudden FPS Drop

Post by raevol »

Something running in the background? Windows siphoning all your data and sending it to three letter govt agencies?
Alpharius

Post by Alpharius »

raevol wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 07:50 Something running in the background? Windows siphoning all your data and sending it to three letter govt agencies?
I don't think so, but Firefox has caused trouble with things like this before, so it could be. I've noticed that the problem shows up again with a 50/50 chance if I alt-tab out of OpenMW, and tab back in. This does happen regardless of whether or not I have anything else running, too. But it's fixed by a simple relaunch.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Alpharius wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 15:13 the problem shows up again with a 50/50 chance if I alt-tab out of OpenMW, and tab back in.
That sounds like something we should look into actually. Not my place to delegate work though, haha.
Raelcari

Post by Raelcari »

I've only just recently joined here, but could I ask if you remember where you were when you noticed the drops first? I've noticed considerable FPS-drops in certain places like Karthag Point and right after getting off the ship in Seyda Neen, but it's confined to a few places afaik.