Newbie here going into Morrowind for the first time, any suggestions/advice/ whatever else for me?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
1Mac

Re: Newbie here going into Morrowind for the first time, any suggestions/advice/ whatever else for me?

Post by 1Mac »

I looked at his list. Worth mentioning again that the current version of PfP makes Delayed DB Attack and similar mods unnecessary.

Also, it's worth noting that Morrowind Rebirth is a controversial choice. I haven't tried it myself, but I know that not everyone likes the changes it makes, and that it's incompatible with many other mods. Also, the TR team doesn't recommend it since the two mods have different ideas of balance that throw Morrowind Rebirth out of kilter. But maybe this is all considered in the video. Perhaps I should watch it; I usually enjoy Zaric's videos.
kuyondo

Re: Newbie here going into Morrowind for the first time, any suggestions/advice/ whatever else for me?

Post by kuyondo »

Huge patience and the will to learn is all you need. Trust me.
Ebonair

Post by Ebonair »

I've scraped together a list of pro tips that may help the new adventurer:
  • Don't look for a good time in Maar Gan.
  • "Move along, scum." is Dunmer for "Have a nice day."
  • Enjoy the U-Pick fruit lots that dot the Ascadian Isles. (Argonians only)
  • The proper utensil for eating live Bull Netch is the salad fork, never the dessert fork.
  • An Ordinator helmet makes a striking and bold fashion statement.
  • Dwemer ruins are tourist traps.
  • If you hate cliff racers, you're not alone. Only you are alone, and so very far from safety.
  • A spell of Burden is about as useful as a glass shield.
  • The correct way to honor your ancestors is to animate their rotting corpses and have them shamble about in a grotesque parody of life. But do not practice necromancy - that is evil and forbidden.
  • And generally just don't be a S'wit.
ThwartAbyss54

Post by ThwartAbyss54 »

Im am also starting up a new game :D Been playing since 2005 and still not finished the main quest XD Love me some Tribunal tho. Just make a character youd like to play and go forward :D. It is very much a role playing game. Fatigue affects every action you or an npc does so make sure to keep it up with potions/food/resting and eventually constant effect :P. Constant effect, constant effect everywhere. I recommend patch for purists ( https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45096 ) and Unoffical morrowind offical plugins patched (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43931 ) for mods and then just play and have fun. If you have patch for purist it has options for solstheim rumor fix and dark brotherhood attacks built in so no need for anything else. Plugins patched is fixed copies of the free official dlc from bethesda with bug fixes. Imma start my playthrough now :D Have fun!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Controversial take:
Don't play with any of the official mods or the expansions, since the teams for the expansions were different than the original team and the quality consistency is all over the place they're no different than mods, and to be honest they don't really fit in very well with the game. In fact they fit in so poorly that you pretty much need two extra mods to make them not annoyingly intrusive (delayed db attack and solstheim rumor fix).

Playing:
Be a jack of all trades with the exception of choosing one melee weapon skill and possibly avoiding magic skills (and using spells/potions in their place), the game isn't very hard and you're better off experimenting with lots of things while you get used to it. Don't be afraid to buy potions and scrolls, you won't have much else to spend your gold on and they will give you a good feel for the magic system without having to invest all your money and stats into individual spells/skills. Avoid using a wiki for anything unless you're totally stumped and just do what people tell you to do, if a shirtless imperial drug-addicted spy tells you to get involved with the various factions instead of bullrushing the main quest then do it, this isn't like Skyrim where you're encouraged to do the whole thing all at once.
lysol

Post by lysol »

halbe wrote: 08 May 2019, 01:14 Controversial take:
Don't play with [...] the expansions
But quest sorting in the journal :(
wareya

Post by wareya »

Yeaaaah playing without the expansions is a galaxy brain tier silly idea. Sure the db attacks and solstheim rumors are annoying but you can indeed just install a couple mods and they stop being problems.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Didn't the Patch for Purists incorporate both of those mods recently? If so, you only need one mod, and it's one you're better off having anyway.
halbe

Post by halbe »

lysol wrote: 08 May 2019, 01:32
halbe wrote: 08 May 2019, 01:14 Controversial take:
Don't play with [...] the expansions
But quest sorting in the journal :(
That feature came from an engine update, its not a part of the .ESM files so you can use it even when the expansions aren't enabled.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

You can't use it when expansions aren't enabled because Morrowind.esm doesn't name quests.