Followers of shadows, the day has come!

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
Ravenwing

Re: Followers of shadows, the day has come!

Post by Ravenwing »

Shadows will be part of 0.46 now that they have been merged.

You can see the complete change log for 0.45 here.

In terms of destroying your install, unless something has happened that I don't know about, saves and modlists should generally be forward compatible, but not necessarily backward compatible (did I say that right?). You can use your saves with future OpenMW versions but can't necessarily use future saves with old versions of OpenMW.

I'd just use a daily for a few hours and if nothing terrible happens, continue using that and just skip 0.45 if you don't mind risking minor bugs appearing here and there.
haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Ravenwing wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 22:17 I'd just use a daily for a few hours and if nothing terrible happens, continue using that and just skip 0.45 if you don't mind risking minor bugs appearing here and there.
Okay :) So, I've downloaded 0.46 via the PPA and the game itself runs fine so far.

I was unable to activate shadows, though. In the config file, I tried the settings which are shown in the outdated Wiki entry, but the shadows do not appear for me (Ubuntu 18.04, NVidia GT960):

Code: Select all

[Shadows]
enabled = true
actor shadows = true
statics shadows = true
terrain shadows = true
misc shadows = true
texture size = 1024
fade start = 0.8
split = true
shadow distance = 1300
split shadow distance = 14000
So either I did something wrong, or maybe the daily build from yesterday (29 hours ago) does not yet include the shadows?
raevol

Post by raevol »

haloterm wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 23:20 So either I did something wrong, or maybe the daily build from yesterday (29 hours ago) does not yet include the shadows?
Same issue here on the most recent daily as of 2019-02-21:20:04 Pacific Time
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

You should copy them from the shadows commit instead and see if that works, as those settings on the wiki are seriously out of date (for one thing, it's now "enable shadows" instead of simply "enabled").
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Yes, and I believe we're trying to figure out why our official documentation hasn't been updating automatically as well.

For everyone's reference, please note that all settings will always be presented in the settings-default.cfg in your OpenMW install directory. Just PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THEM THERE, change them in settings.cfg in your documents directory (is there a name for this directory?). That's how I knew what to change before any documentation had been written.

I would just download the build from the most recent shadows artifact, should be a link floating around in one of the recent threads. Although I thought Ace had fixed the nightlies.
wasternne

Post by wasternne »

Thank you very much, dear developers! The time has come to play the game once more!
For me, shadows are perfectly working (with the latest nightly build after editing settings-default.cfg, even if it's wrong to edit it directly - see above).
In my case, settings.cfg can be found in C:\Users\<put your user name here>\Documents\My Games\OpenMW.
Sorry for duplicating the information, just thought it could help somebody.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Just got home and installed the latest nightly, shadows are indeed working. No issues here.
haloterm

Post by haloterm »

CMAugust wrote: 22 Feb 2019, 05:19 You should copy them from the shadows commit instead and see if that works, as those settings on the wiki are seriously out of date (for one thing, it's now "enable shadows" instead of simply "enabled").
Thank you!!!

Shadows do work with these settings, no issues so far! Really happy now :D
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

I couldn't resist...
Spoiler: Show
Gallery: Vvardenfell at Dusk
clocknova

Post by clocknova »

Hmmm. Eanbled shadows in the settings.cfg file, but no shadows appearing in the latest MacOS nightly. Is there something else I need to do other than set

[Shadows]
enabled = true