Morrowind .esm missing

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
IdiocityInc

Morrowind .esm missing

Post by IdiocityInc »

I have an installation of morrowind that runs fine, but for some reason the wizard for open morrowind will not show the Morrowind.esm in its data files list. It shows Bloodmoon.esm and Tribunal.esm just fine, and even all my mods that I've installed (though I have those all disabled.) Gives me a crash to desktop when loading up that shows that it cannot load the morrowind.esm.

Running windows 7 on a steam installation of that helps. I tried reloading the settings importer, doesn't fix the issue and I'm not very knowledgeable with Morrowind or computers in general.
owatnext

Re: Morrowind .esm missing

Post by owatnext »

Try running the program as an administrator.
If that doesn't work, try moving all of your Morrowind related files and the OpenMW program to a directory that isn't locked to administrator privileges, such as "Documents."
IdiocityInc

Post by IdiocityInc »

Just tried that, doesn't seem to have helped at all.
owatnext

Post by owatnext »

IdiocityInc wrote:Just tried that, doesn't seem to have helped at all.
Oh dear. I'm not sure, I'm not a dev or anything.
Make sure you've imported the .ini settings and that you are running the right architecture for your machine. If everything else is fine, maybe you just need to redownload and reinstall. I'm not sure.
Sorry.

:)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Edit: Is your issue only related to the Installation Wizard? Then, try changing the selected Morrowind installation from (e.g.) "D:\_Games\TES-III_Morrowind" to "D:\_Games\TES-III_Morrowind\Data Files" (see below).

Let me summarise your issue:
  • You have a working vanilla Morrowind installation, including Tribunal and Bloodmoon.
  • You have a clean installation of OpenMW (0.40.0?).
  • The OpenMW launcher displays Tribunal.esm, Bloodmoon.esm, and all your mods' .esp files.
  • The OpenMW lauchner does not display the Morrowind.esm though.
  • Starting OpenMW from the launcher results in a crash to desktop because of the missing Morrowind.esm file.
Okay. First, make sure that the OpenMW launcher points to the right directory and has the right content files activated. This can be seen in your local OpenMW config file, e.g.:

Code: Select all

[...]
data=D:\_Games\TES-III_Morrowind
data="D:\_Games\TES-III_Morrowind\Data Files"
content=Morrowind.esm
content=Tribunal.esm
content=Bloodmoon.esm
content=<your first active mod>
content=<your second active mod>
[...]
My example has two Morrowind paths because of a bug (?) in the installation wizard which lets it assume that Morrowind.esm and all data files are located in Morrowind's main directory. Ignore that first line.

If you are missing the line "content=Morrowind.esm", try adding it and restart your launcher. The Morrowind.esm is your main data file. It should be displayed in the dropdown field in the Data Files tab in your launcher. If not, click the dropdown list and select it. If that doesn't work, check if your Morrowind.esm file really exists in your Morrowind installation folder.
IdiocityInc

Post by IdiocityInc »

The installation path is pointed towards the morrowind .esm in Data files. Just tried a fresh install of both Morrowind and openMW, didn't seem to fix the issue. How do I access OpenMW's config file? can't seem to find it.

EDIT - Well, I just fixed it somehow. It still doesn't show up in the Data Files of OpenMW, but launching just morrowind by itself worked, then adding on Tribunal first then Bloodmoon second seemed to fix the issue entirely. Thanks for the help though!
TalHz

Post by TalHz »

I have downloaded Morrowind through Steam and am trying to run openmw, only openmw is looking for .esm files and Morrowind doesn't use them. The files are not missing, it physically doesnt use them.
Neither is Morrowind located in a folder called Morrowind, is is located in E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher
then the launch file is called > Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

So how do I get openmw to locate this file to run it?

Been on this for hours now an my brain is pickled...lol
Chris

Post by Chris »

TalHz wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 23:22 I have downloaded Morrowind through Steam and am trying to run openmw, only openmw is looking for .esm files and Morrowind doesn't use them.
Yes it does.
Neither is Morrowind located in a folder called Morrowind, is is located in E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher
Zenimax Online would indicate you got Elder Scrolls Online, not Elder Scrolls 3. TESO's Morrowind expansion is wholly different than Morrowind proper.