Navigate UI With Arrow Keys

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
onionland

Navigate UI With Arrow Keys

Post by onionland »

In my opinion the most dated aspect of the UI is not the UI itself but the inability to navigate major parts of it without the mouse. An aspect I'm surprised has not been tackled before.

The most efficient way I could think to remedy this, which would also be flexible enough for future changes to UI, would be to have specific keys which would interact with the topmost UI element. What I'm requesting specifically is to be able to navigate and make selections in windows such as the inventory and the spell window using a set of bound keys of my choice. (people would rightfully complain if the default movement keys were made to navigate the menus rather than moving around, as many move about whilst having the menus up) This would work in combination with having either a bound key work in the same way as left click (ideally with support for drag and drop) or having left click work on the select item either when the mouse has not been moved, or when not overlapping with any other interactable elements.

In combination with tabing between windows this would vastly improve controller support, and speed up UI navigation when no physical mouse is present (such as on laptop where you only have a trackpad or nipple).

I don't believe this should conflict with any statements which have previously been made regarding UI, but please let me know if there is any technical or post 1.0 reason this has not already been implemented.
Last edited by onionland on 06 Feb 2019, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Re: Navigate UI With Arrow Keys

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You can already navigate most of the UI with the arrow keys. Are you using an old build from before this was added?
onionland

Re: Navigate UI With Arrow Keys

Post by onionland »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 17:39 You can already navigate most of the UI with the arrow keys. Are you using an old build from before this was added?
Some elements are navigate-able with arrow keys, to my awareness major ones are distinctly missing from this such as inventory.
Just checked on the last nightly, and as far as I can see this is still the case