OpenMW 0.45.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ghales

Re: OpenMW 0.45.0

Post by ghales »

@K1ll, I started the RC from its own directory by typing openmw-launcher from the console. The OSG version in the libs subdir is 3.4.1, so that should be what I was using.

BTW, before my original post, I checked the 0.44 release build (started the same way) and it worked fine. But just now, I tried a nightly from two months ago and it also crashed shortly after starting. Both those directories also had OSG 3.4.1, but not the Qt5 stuff. I am confused, because the nightly used to work. And if it doesn't work, then how can the 0.44 release build run?
ghales

Post by ghales »

Scratch that. None of my versions are working now, not even the Tumbleweed repo from desktop icon. Last night, the 0.44 release build let me run around for about two minutes; now, it crashes after three seconds. This is obviously not an RC issue.
halcyon

Post by halcyon »

The macOS RC ran fine for me during a couple hours of play, including chargen and a save carried forward from 0.44.

Once unwelcome change that I noticed is that when looting containers, the last option chosen (such as loot all) no longer stays highlighted as the default the next time a container is opened. Instead the default always returns to just closing the container. I don't know whether this was intentional, but it's contrary to the behavior of other similar interface elements (like persude options and whether to take vs close a book or book after reading), where the last option chosen is remembered as the default.

No problems otherwise, including some light use of the editor.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks for testing, halcyon!
halcyon wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 05:46 Once unwelcome change that I noticed is that when looting containers, the last option chosen (such as loot all) no longer stays highlighted as the default the next time a container is opened. Instead the default always returns to just closing the container. I don't know whether this was intentional, but it's contrary to the behavior of other similar interface elements (like persude options and whether to take vs close a book or book after reading), where the last option chosen is remembered as the default.
This was implemented in PR 1916 and the intention is to prevent players from accidentally stealing items from a container when actually trying to close it (so, basically, a safety measure for dungeon crawlers returning to a city).
I'm sure that we'll come up with better solutions in the future, but that is the current status.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

What's up with videos?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

akortunov wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 13:02 What's up with videos?
Still work in progress. I didn't have much (= any) time in the last couple of weeks - and the sheer amount of issues is not very helpful either. I'm currently racking my brains on how to reduce a potential 30-minute video into something more appropriate without leaving out important/interesting changes.

At the moment, this looks more like a christmas release to me to be honest.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote: 06 Dec 2018, 13:37 Still work in progress.
No worries and no rush. Could one of the devs give us a small (5 or so) list of items from the changelog that will be most interesting for our users?
ghales

Post by ghales »

I figured it out. It looks like the release 0.44 openmw is broken in the Tumbleweed repos. I don't know why, but it may be the OSG version thing.

In addition there are two issues with the RC. The tarball does not have a "useqt5" subdir, so the launcher tries to use the Qt4 version and, on my system, fails due to missing:
libQtGui.so.4
I simply created the subdir where the launcher script looks for it and that solved that. If this was deliberate to let the users choose which version of Qt to use, I must not have got the memo.

Second, the current build is missing libjpeg.so.62 and libpng12.so.0. I've noted this previously, but without them openmw doesn't have maps.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

raevol wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 02:16 Could one of the devs give us a small (5 or so) list of items from the changelog that will be most interesting for our users?
Most noticable changes in OpenMW itself:
1. Per-group animation files support
2. Proper scaling for TrueType fonts
3. Actors processing slider and fade-out for actors outside of processing range

4. 360-degrees screenshots
5. Scripted spellcasting now has animations and effects
6. When bound item spell expires, a replacement is equipped
7. Missing class or faction record does not freeze the game
8. Actors in inactive cells can heal when player's character rests
9. Marksman weapon can be used when enemy is close to marksman
10. There is a huge amount of fixes in animation system, including improved support for mannequin mods and scripted animations.

OpenMW-CS:
1. Now can render actors properly
2. Has log files including crash one
3. Uses default markers for lights and levelled creatures
4. Handles plugin descriptions with multibyte characters properly
5. Has icons in menus.
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Edit - I figured out what was the problem, it was just the way I had the truetype fonts installed. I needed to upgrade to the 0.45 way to install them as per the wiki page, and everything works again. Sorry for the trouble!

And last update: After some brief testing in Seyda Neen, Balmora, and Vivec, I can get the RC 0.45 to run stably with 293 mods installed. Kudos you guys, thank you! :)

Lied about the last update, 12/12/2018: Just popping by to say I've been playing the Windows RC for at least 4 days now, from the Bitter Coast to Ashlands, with 309 or so mods all over the place, and have noticed no problems, crashes, or issues whatsoever. Thumbs up from me, thank you!
-----
Hi all! I wasn't planning on being a tester for this or anything, I just barely started using OpenMW 0.44 about a week ago and just got through modding it heavily. But I saw the changelog on 0.45 and got all excited about being able to use Piratelord's Creatures mod with the new version that generates collision boxes for things that don't have them, so I went ahead and downloaded this version here:
Ace (SWE) wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 15:09 64-bit
I'm on Win10 64bit obviously.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I did this properly, but I installed OpenMW as normal in a new folder, without uninstalling OpenMW 0.44. Then I reverted back to the vanilla "openmw.cfg" and "settings.cfg" files in my Documents folder. Then I booted up OpenMW 045 RC. And it seems to be working fine with one huge exception - all the fonts are just clean, plain gone missing. Everywhere I would have seen a font there's just blank space.

I'm not sure if I did the installation wrong or if it's because there's some artifact from modding my (working) 0.44 version that carried over to my 0.45 RC install, but I thought I would let you guys know just in case it's any bit of helpful. There's nothing strange or out of place looking in my "openmw.log" file and the game certainly did not crash anywhere. It just had no fonts installed for some reason.

I'll keep fiddling around on my own or switch back to 0.44 for the time being, but I hope this was not a useless post here.

Cheers and happy testing!

Edit: Ah, I thought of something: I followed this guide to install truetype fonts on 0.44. I see there was a change made to truetype fonts in the changelog for 0.45 so it's probably something in here.

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Fonts
Last edited by Enkida on 12 Dec 2018, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.