Crashing on startup in Arch Linux

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
williamnbc

Crashing on startup in Arch Linux

Post by williamnbc »

Unmodded openmw runs just fine, but I encounter a problem for the majority of mods I install. On attempting to launch I get the error message

filesystem::recursive_directory_iterator directory error: Permission denied

I expect permissions will help but I don't know which files are causing this error, or even where openmw's files are located.

I tried running sudo openmw-launcher but this just sends me through the installation wizard and none of my mods are there.
akortunov

Re: Crashing on startup in Arch Linux

Post by akortunov »

1. You do not need to use sudo for OpenMW.
2. It it a quite hard to give advices without openmw.cfg
(you can attach it to forum post or just use any external storage, just do not copy-paste the whole file content to your post)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

sudo just tells your app to launch as root, as a result openmw* will look at /root for all your mods (for example).

OpenMW is a normal application, you should not run it as root or via sudo.

I guess your .config directory is possibly set with funky permissions?
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

williamnbc wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 05:55 Unmodded openmw runs just fine, but I encounter a problem for the majority of mods I install. On attempting to launch I get the error message

filesystem::recursive_directory_iterator directory error: Permission denied

I expect permissions will help but I don't know which files are causing this error, or even where openmw's files are located.

I tried running sudo openmw-launcher but this just sends me through the installation wizard and none of my mods are there.

I know a thing or two about troubleshooting in linux. As previously requested, can you add a link to the openmw.cfg. Also, can you try running from console and giving the output from that as well? (you may have to copy the terminal output to a text file, save that and link to that as well as the openmw.cfg file, if the output is large)

ST
lambda

Post by lambda »

For whatever is worth the settings in Arch are in the home subdir

.config/openmw

It should have normal permissions, so you may have messed something up. And as others said, do *not* use sudo. If you have to sudo you already have a messed up installation. I never encountered such a bug in Arch, but admittedly I have not played in a couple of months or more, so something may have changed in between.

The default settings are on

/etc/openmw

and this dir does does have root permissions, but the game should be able to read and load them just fine and normal. You should not be editing them, unless you really know what you are doing or you want to give yourself a world of pain just for the fun of it.

Edit: note on default settings.
williamnbc

Post by williamnbc »

Just to clarify, sudo isn't fixing anything. I just tried it to see if anything would change. The whole openmw folder has read/write permissions.
console output:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Ku ... sp=sharing

openmw.cfg:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuqQyH ... sp=sharing
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

williamnbc wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 19:14 Just to clarify, sudo isn't fixing anything. I just tried it to see if anything would change. The whole openmw folder has read/write permissions.
console output:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Ku ... sp=sharing

openmw.cfg:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuqQyH ... sp=sharing
I suppose the issue is here:

Code: Select all

Adding data directory /usr/share/games/openmw/data
It seems your user have no rights to access to the /usr/share/games/openmw/data folder. I wonder why it tries to load this folder, though.
williamnbc

Post by williamnbc »

/usr/share/games/openmw/data had read only permissions. I changed to read/write but I'm still getting the same error. That folder is empty.
lambda

Post by lambda »

Are you using the steam-native or the steam-runtime version (or whatever the version is called, the one that comes bundled with all the libs)?
williamnbc

Post by williamnbc »

You mean where did I get my morrowind.esm file for the openmw installer?