Does anybody know why 'lord of the dragons' mod wouldn't work? Please help so we can fly dragons round Morrowind.

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Candiety

Does anybody know why 'lord of the dragons' mod wouldn't work? Please help so we can fly dragons round Morrowind.

Post by Candiety »

Lord Of The Dragons v1.2 (Made by MADMAX of Pegas Horse Ranch
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-26-2620

Here's what supposedly happens:
  • You speak to a dremora in Balmora (near the Hlaalu Council Manor) and get teleported to the Dragons Lair (a floating island)
  • You fight the dragon lord/kill him
  • A ring is added to your inventory once you kill him
  • You can ride dragons
What doesn't happen is that
1. you receive the ring. It's meant to be added to your inventory, but I can't find it. I can't find it on the dragon lord either, or in his lair.
2. The dragon that he rides (and that you kill, at the same time as him) are visible. However, the three dragons that you can ride at his lair, are missing.

So no ring, and the dragons aren't there.

This is unfortunate because I literally can't think of a better way to travel round morrowind.

Can anybody with OpenMW/modding experience take a look and see what is going on here, and see if it can be fixed? Pretty please.

Thanks either way!
akortunov

Re: Does anybody know why 'lord of the dragons' mod wouldn't work? Please help so we can fly dragons round Morrowind.

Post by akortunov »

1. _dremorarider_script script has a syntax error.
2. Player can not toggle sneak during falling, so you will not be able to ride a dragon even if you will fix 1.
Candiety

Re: Does anybody know why 'lord of the dragons' mod wouldn't work? Please help so we can fly dragons round Morrowind.

Post by Candiety »

akortunov wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 19:48 1. _dremorarider_script script has a syntax error.
2. Player can not toggle sneak during falling, so you will not be able to ride a dragon even if you will fix 1.
Thank you so much for the quick reply.

Is #2 an OpenMW specific problem/feature?

And is this remotely feasible to be fixed? Surely flying dragons is in demand.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

#1 should be pretty easily fixable. If #2 is something OpenMW does differently to vanilla, it should probably be reported and fixed, but if it relies on MWSE or MCP, then it's probably out-of-scope, at least until 1.0.
Candiety

Post by Candiety »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 22:25 #1 should be pretty easily fixable. If #2 is something OpenMW does differently to vanilla, it should probably be reported and fixed, but if it relies on MWSE or MCP, then it's probably out-of-scope, at least until 1.0.
It's definitely nothing to do with MWSE or MCP, or at least nothing is specified in the text file. Plus it does work, for the most part. You just can't get to (see) the dragons, ride them, or receive the ring.Thanks for the quick replies to both of you.

Lord of the Dragons text document spoiler:
Spoiler: Show
JDGBOLT

Post by JDGBOLT »

I think I can provide the answer for number 2, as far as I understand it. Within vehicle mods for early morrowind development, we didn't have a lot of ways to detect when players pressed keys within vanilla MW script, but we found that 2 that would work was the GetPCRunning and GetPCSneaking commands, as these would be true pretty much 100% of the time, at least for falling/levitating/regular moving around. Even when paralyzed, if I remember correctly. So we could count on these two for doing things like sneak activating, or running and sneaking to increase or decrease speed, that kind of thing. OpenMW implements these commands differently, it only sets those to true if the player is actually doing the animations for these actions, so these tricks don't work on OpenMW, and thus it is currently impossible in OpenMW to do the same sorts of controls to vehicles that we could do in the vanilla engine.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Check for animations was added by this request to fix Stormrider controls.
GetPCRunning definely should check if player is actually moving, but probably we need a different approach to detect it.
As for GetPCSneak, it is a pretty inconsistent. For example, it does not work underwater, but for some reason it works during falling (and messes up player's animations in the 3d-person view).