Game option to add collision for stuff like pillows?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
terabyte25

Re: Game option to add collision for stuff like pillows?

Post by terabyte25 »

Perhaps we could get tes3mp to merge this up stream?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

That's the plan.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

psi29a wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 17:41That's the plan.
Done.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

How is it "done" if it won't even do anything but spit warnings in its current state?
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

Capostrophic wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 00:02 How is it "done" if it won't even do anything but spit warnings in its current state?
Oops, looks like I forgot to add settings-default.cfg to the commit. Will fix.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Maybe I should have been clearer... when tes3mp is merged into openmw proper, we'll have this.

Is this particular feature something OpenMW will want for 1.0 or for after? If it is implemented, it should be in a way that lessens the burden for tes3mp. We don't want two different ways of doing the same thing then having to go about reconciling it afterwards.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

psi29a wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 08:40 Maybe I should have been clearer... when tes3mp is merged into openmw proper, we'll have this.

Is this particular feature something OpenMW will want for 1.0 or for after? If it is implemented, it should be in a way that lessens the burden for tes3mp. We don't want two different ways of doing the same thing then having to go about reconciling it afterwards.
I am not really sure if Zini wants it post-1.0 or pre-1.0, or either. From what I could tell he didn't say anything about it apart from the PR having messy options.
Dyskos

Re: Thoughts on the jumping mechanic

Post by Dyskos »

Capostrophic wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 13:39 The future is now.
Sorry to bring up this up here, but there's actually something in this video that's quite relevant to something I've wanted for some time, now.

In the video, the character has a high Acrobatics skill, and can jump quite high. However, when he does so in the pillow fort, the character keeps trying to move vertically to complete the jump, instead of immediately coming back down, which would be more natural.

Not that Morrowind or OpenMW are aiming to be realistic in the physics department... but I think it would be nice to be able to come back down immediately once positive Y movement becomes 0 or less, otherwise, the character awkwardly floats in the air with his head in a roof or ceiling.

Jumping is also something I think could be improved by having variable jump height, in which the duration of the jump is determined by how long the jump button is held in air. Tapping the jump key would procure a small jump, however, holding the jump key would cause the character to jump at their full ability. Once the jump key is released, the character stops moving with a positive Y acceleration.

Mostly, this would help make jumping more precise, similar to other games that involve a lot of platforming. Which I understand why that was likely an afterthought in Morrowind, as parkour wasn't really its intent, but I think it could use a QoL improvement.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

drakovyrn wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 03:37
Capostrophic wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 13:39 The future is now.
Sorry to bring up this up here, but there's actually something in this video that's quite relevant to something I've wanted for some time, now.

In the video, the character has a high Acrobatics skill, and can jump quite high. However, when he does so in the pillow fort, the character keeps trying to move vertically to complete the jump, instead of immediately coming back down, which would be more natural.

Not that Morrowind or OpenMW are aiming to be realistic in the physics department... but I think it would be nice to be able to come back down immediately once positive Y movement becomes 0 or less, otherwise, the character awkwardly floats in the air with his head in a roof or ceiling.

Jumping is also something I think could be improved by having variable jump height, in which the duration of the jump is determined by how long the jump button is held in air. Tapping the jump key would procure a small jump, however, holding the jump key would cause the character to jump at their full ability. Once the jump key is released, the character stops moving with a positive Y acceleration.

Mostly, this would help make jumping more precise, similar to other games that involve a lot of platforming. Which I understand why that was likely an afterthought in Morrowind, as parkour wasn't really its intent, but I think it could use a QoL improvement.
I don't really think this would be cut out for pre-1.0, though I definitely agree with the idea that hitting a ceiling should reset vertical speed to 0, still not vanilla friendly though.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

terabyte25 wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 04:31
drakovyrn wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 03:37 Some stuff
I don't really think this would be cut out for pre-1.0, though I definitely agree with the idea that hitting a ceiling should reset vertical speed to 0, still not vanilla friendly though.
There's already a few configurable options that change gameplay that aren't vanilla friendly, but it's OK as this wouldn't be true by default. Improved jumping would be a QoL improvement, and I'm OK with waiting post-1.0, just as long as I can see that it does get in somehow. Even if it means paying someone.

I only have experience with C, but I feel I could probably tackle this myself after a few more years experience, I would just need to figure out how to access physics, write the proper loop to test input and the PCs positive Y speed, and how to implement toggleable options in OpenMW.