Creating 3D models for use with OpenMW

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Post Reply
AlexisArtemissian
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Sep 2018, 04:26

Creating 3D models for use with OpenMW

Post by AlexisArtemissian » 17 Sep 2018, 04:47

Hi there, I'm studying 3D production (modeling, rigging, animation and VFX) and was wondering if there was anything that one would need to keep in mind for creating more detailed models as a kind of an overhaul for the game, or if I just need to look into modeling stuff for vanilla Morrowind. Things such as what texture maps are used, any rigging requirements and naming conventions etc...

I'd be using a combination of maya, zbrush and substance to create any assets.

User avatar
psi29a
Posts: 4363
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 10:13
Github profile: https://github.com/psi29a/
Contact:

Re: Creating 3D models for use with OpenMW

Post by psi29a » 17 Sep 2018, 06:57

We have an Example-Suite project that is used to show off what OpenMW can do, it's totally unrelated to Morrowind so we have creative freedom there.

Destined is leading up that project.

User avatar
AnyOldName3
Posts: 1192
Joined: 26 Nov 2015, 03:25

Re: Creating 3D models for use with OpenMW

Post by AnyOldName3 » 17 Sep 2018, 12:26

The only advantage we have over vanilla Morrowind right now is that we have support for normal maps (although MGE XE, which is very widely used, hacks this feature into regular Morrowind, too).

If you have the ability to use a PBR workflow and then convert your textures to work with a legacy Phong-based setup after the fact, that would mean that your work will be ready if and when we implement PBR shading.
AnyOldName3, Master of Shadows

silentthief
Posts: 305
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 01:20
Location: Currently traversing the Ascadian Isles

Re: Creating 3D models for use with OpenMW

Post by silentthief » 17 Sep 2018, 16:35

AlexisArtemissian wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 04:47
Hi there, I'm studying 3D production (modeling, rigging, animation and VFX) and was wondering if there was anything that one would need to keep in mind for creating more detailed models as a kind of an overhaul for the game, or if I just need to look into modeling stuff for vanilla Morrowind. Things such as what texture maps are used, any rigging requirements and naming conventions etc...

I'd be using a combination of maya, zbrush and substance to create any assets.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the engine is not set up to allow any non-static assets other than NIF? I know that there was discussion on branching out - due to the NIF structure being convoluted, but I didn't think that we had any other choice for animated models other than NIF.

ST the convoluted
"Hurry, hurry! Last boat to Solstheim! Until the next one. Hah-ha-hah."

AlexisArtemissian
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Sep 2018, 04:26

Re: Creating 3D models for use with OpenMW

Post by AlexisArtemissian » 18 Sep 2018, 02:56

psi29a wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 06:57
We have an Example-Suite project that is used to show off what OpenMW can do, it's totally unrelated to Morrowind so we have creative freedom there.
Cool, I'll look into that as a starting point then :)
AnyOldName3 wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 12:26
The only advantage we have over vanilla Morrowind right now is that we have support for normal maps (although MGE XE, which is very widely used, hacks this feature into regular Morrowind, too).

If you have the ability to use a PBR workflow and then convert your textures to work with a legacy Phong-based setup after the fact, that would mean that your work will be ready if and when we implement PBR shading.
I don't have any experience converting PBR to legacy (Having only needed to use PBR), so I'll have to do that in order to create models for the engine as it currently is?

User avatar
psi29a
Posts: 4363
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 10:13
Github profile: https://github.com/psi29a/
Contact:

Re: Creating 3D models for use with OpenMW

Post by psi29a » 18 Sep 2018, 08:40

silentthief wrote:
17 Sep 2018, 16:35
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the engine is not set up to allow any non-static assets other than NIF? I know that there was discussion on branching out - due to the NIF structure being convoluted, but I didn't think that we had any other choice for animated models other than NIF.
This is correct. At this moment, we support Collada (for example) which works. However if the Collada asset includes animation, OpenMW will complain it doesn't understand what it is being told. This bit needs to be 'glued' into our animation system. Easier said than done because no one has really dived into it yet.

I have examples of how to get Collada animations rendering with osg via Daenim, it's now just getting that code into OpenMW.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests