I want to help, but I need directions

Join the team. This area is for people who want to participate in OpenMW's development in one way or another.
Dgdiniz

I want to help, but I need directions

Post by Dgdiniz »

Hi, I'm following this project for several months and this is a dream coming true for me. Morrowind is the best game I ever played!
I really want to help in this project, but I was very busy with other projects till now.
I have a lot of experience with C++, and I know a little about 3D graphics (but not professionally). I did some stuff with Ogre before, but only basic things. My focus is low level programming, algorithms, etc.

So I want to help but I need some directions, because I don't know much about the Openmw code, Morrowind file formats, etc.

Someone could instruct me about what to learn first so I can help as fast as possible?
I already have the code compiling in my Pc, so where I start?

Thanks............
ezzetabi

Re: I want to help, but I need directions

Post by ezzetabi »

Read the open tasks. Overall for 0.15 and 0.16, do you like something? Try to ask about it.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Read the wiki (especially the developer reference part) and most importantly: read code! A good way to become acquainted with it is implementing some trivial things (for example small script instructions). That way, you'll find your way around everything sooner or later.

http://openmw.org/wiki/index.php?title= ... g_(status)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not so sure about starting with scripting instructions. Most of these are not implemented yet, because the underlying functionality that is invoked by them is not implemented yet. In most cases these are not trivial, if you don't know your way around in the OpenMW code base.

Important parts of the wiki are (as scrawl write) the developer reference pages and the new developer checklist.
Dgdiniz

Post by Dgdiniz »

Thanks for replies.

I'm already reading the code. I need to choose my first task, but I don't know where to begin. I want to do something usefull for the next release(s).

Someone could help me to find something easy (its my first task) to do?

Thanks
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

if you know Qt, you can try the editor.
Zini

Post by Zini »

If you have any experience with MyGUI, this one would be a good start.

Then we also have this one. Not hard, but it is a lot of work and affects lots of different places that are spread out all over the code base. If you want, I can split it up for you into a list of sub-task.

And as ap0 mentioned above, we can always use people with Qt experience (for the editor, but also for some launcher bug fixing).

We also have two simple code maintenance tasks. They are rather boring though:

* Add member variable scope sigil where missing
* More Component Namespace Cleanup

I am not entirely sure, if the former one is still relevant. But if it isn't that should be verified at least, so we can close the issue.
Dgdiniz

Post by Dgdiniz »

Hi, I know a little of QT but I want to understand the openmw core first.
Zini, this feature #180 seems interesting. Could you split it up into sub tasks for me?

I also could see these boring stuff :lol: (task #11 and #163)

The Bug #268, related to MyGui, was already resolved yesterday.

I'm already registered at the issue tracker.

Thanks...........
Zini

Post by Zini »

The Bug #268, related to MyGui, was already resolved yesterday.
That someone escaped me. Happens if people don't create separate branches for issues ...
Hi, I know a little of QT but I want to understand the openmw core first.
Okay.
Zini, this feature #180 seems interesting. Could you split it up into sub tasks for me?
Okay. Will make a new thread for it in the development forum.