Made a Launcher UI Design.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
kuyondo

Re: Made a Launcher UI Design.

Post by kuyondo »

ahh nice design.. would be even better if we can customise the theme of the launcher ui with our own design(with a tutorial on how to create one) :lol: :lol: .

Nevertheless, the proposed design is neat and cool. I believe its time we revolutionise our launcher with something new and interesting!
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Personally, I think that having lots of theme options is a relic of the 00's and will get limited use in the real world. Aside from light theme/dark theme, I can't recall the last app I used that provided multiple themes to choose from.

I think it would be best to just create one "official" theme and stick with it. Sure, people could always create alternatives, but I don't think it's worth the time and effort to make additional themes have first-class support.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Mod Organizer is something I use a lot (and have contributed to) and it has at least four popular themes. Two of those are dark variants of the other two, but that is basically still two main themes that get used.

With Qt, adding theme support shouldn't be hard, and bundling the official theme as a loose file would let users mess around with it even if we didn't officially support it. If it turned out that people were actually doing it, then we could write some documentation and make it an official feature. It's also something that total conversions and new games might be pretty keen on using if it's there.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 23:42 It's also something that total conversions and new games might be pretty keen on using if it's there.
This. So I guess this should be an idea worth considering.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

kuyondo wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 06:01
AnyOldName3 wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 23:42 It's also something that total conversions and new games might be pretty keen on using if it's there.
This. So I guess this should be an idea worth considering.
Fair point. I could see if, for instance, Example Suite or Arktwend wanted to have their own executable, they might desire their own custom theme. I think unless a demand for that is expressed though, it's not something that's worth spending a lot of time on (although future-proofing for that possibility is still good).

I guess my concern was to have something like 5 themes that ship with OpenMW. That definitely seems excessive to me.
moodydog

Post by moodydog »

The current splash is practical and functional, but probably wont win any design awards.

I would love to see something based off the original launcher, but slightly higher res/ sharper. I'll see what I can conjure up in Photoshop. :)

EDIT : ... made entirely of google images :lol: