Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
AnyOldName3

Re: Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Post by AnyOldName3 »

To further that, it's mirrored in both directions, so if a PR gets merged on GitHub, it'll show up on GitLab and if an MR gets merged on GitLab it'll show up on GitHub. I don't think unmerged P/MRs or comments on them are mirrored, though.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Actually if it works as you say, I might be OK with this. Don't know if the comments will cause problems, but I am going to give it a try.

EDIT: I'll try to reestablish probably this PR from GitLab. If this workflow proves it can work, I'd like to update the development documentation to include a tutorial on contributing via GitLab.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@drummyfish: Could you focus on this one instead please: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1548 (because it is currently under active review).
Zoran

Post by Zoran »

austen1000 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 16:55 My brother, who uses Linux exclusively on his own computer, once told me this;

"Most people don't give a crap about Open Source"

Within the confines of an open source community, it seems crazy. But, when you leave those confines, you slowly begin to realize that statement is indeed the case, much like I have. Heck, I had a guy I went to school with tell me that people who use Linux don't have a life. I've also had alot of trouble trying to use just Linux for college courses during my college years so far. I love Open Source, but, I'm not going to pretend Open Source is widespread. I gave up on trying to game on Linux a long time ago, because just to many games I like to play don't work, even with Wine. I still use Linux on my main school/work laptop, but, due to the requirements of one class last semester, I had to get a cheap Windows laptop just to be able to do the assignments for it. I do have dreams of making it widespread someday, but, as it stands now, it is just a sizable niche.

The only reason my brother hasn't had as much trouble is due to his field being very Linux-friendly.

With that said, I just hope OpenMW doesn't fall apart after this and will continue to support Morrowind, on top of new, fully open source games.
Most peaple from the "open source" comunity don't know nothing about Free Software and what that means. That it is all about feedom in your computing. The watered down term "open source" deliberately does not mention the isue of software user freedom, even douth it talks about the same software. Is descrasfull on your school part to damand from you to use proprietary software.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Since we've already tested GitLab, could the official instructions on contributing be updated to include GitLab? (I'd do it but it seems like registration is closed on the wiki.)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Not yet. We're still getting everything setup. Patience please. :)
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

psi29a wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 14:45 Not yet. We're still getting everything setup. Patience please. :)
Yes sure, no mean to rush, just don't want it to be forgotten about you know... I can see you're testing the issues and CI - thank you for setting everything up :]
declan

Post by declan »

scrawl wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 12:48 So I guess that's a 'bye'.
Gutted.

Personally, I came (as a user/observer) for Morrowind and stayed for the OSS dream. It seems fitting that a game whose lore — particularly via Tamriel Rebuilt/Project Tamriel — is somewhat ‘open source’ should be paired with such a project.

I also use GitLab for work purposes and prefer it to GitHub, myself.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

declan wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 18:22I also use GitLab for work purposes and prefer it to GitHub, myself.
Same
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

welp.. scrawls gone. expecting another massive delay for openmw 1.0 to be completed. sad. and this happens in the 10th anniversary of openmw.. what a milestone!