Questions about starting development

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
AnyOldName3

Re: Questions about starting development

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The stuff for C++ development might be an optional extra download. Run the Visual Studio Installer (it should show up from a start menu search) choose modify on VS2017, and check you've got 'Desktop development with C++' ticked under the Workloads tab. If it's not installed, install it.

If you don't remember deselecting it during initial installation but it's missing, I'll add that to the guide, too.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I hope this post serves as a warning about how difficult it is to setup a working C++ development environment on Windows... I mean, this is even before someone even touches OpenMW. This was why my one (and only attempt) took so bloody long.

You guys are being awesome working through all the issues so that we can document it and stream-line the process. Thanks!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's not that different from having to install GCC separately from Vim except for Visual Studio coming without C++ support by default being less obvious.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I remember I had to install a separate package to add x64 bit support for msvc, it wasn't included by default. It was labeled as a 'service pack' I think. This awhile ago though, I suspect that it's on by default now these days.
Starsheep

Post by Starsheep »

psi29a wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 15:25 I hope this post serves as a warning about how difficult it is to setup a working C++ development environment on Windows... I mean, this is even before someone even touches OpenMW. This was why my one (and only attempt) took so bloody long.

You guys are being awesome working through all the issues so that we can document it and stream-line the process. Thanks!
The wiki entry on setting up a dev environment is pretty good at the moment. I'm not really a low level dev but wanted to explore the code with a proper interface to learn more about the structure of the project.

I followed the scripted way on my windows computer a couple days ago and it went buttery smooth.
CI/before_script.msvc.sh is just awesome
iloveket

Post by iloveket »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 15:16 The stuff for C++ development might be an optional extra download. Run the Visual Studio Installer (it should show up from a start menu search) choose modify on VS2017, and check you've got 'Desktop development with C++' ticked under the Workloads tab. If it's not installed, install it.

If you don't remember deselecting it during initial installation but it's missing, I'll add that to the guide, too.
Yeah everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for all the help!
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

That's great to see. :)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Wiki updated.