[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
krlsrrll

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by krlsrrll »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 00:59
krlsrrll wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:48 I have a bit of a strange one ...

I am trying to run this on an Amazon Fire 10.1 and I can get it to load with the '--skip-menu 1' custom command line but:

- I go straight into the game as a dark elf called 'player', I am in the ashlands being attacked by a skamp and I have no equipment so I die

- If I then try starting a new game it drops me straight out

- I can only run Glesv2, if I try v1 it says 'Failed to create GraphicsContent'

Hope someone can help as this was to be my holiday entertainment in the Isle of Wight later this year!!!
Hmmmm. Are you rooted? i wonder if gltools would help? but for the sake of argument ill assume you are not.....in which case hmmmmm idk maybe try an earlier version the app https://github.com/xyzz/android-port/releases/.And as afterthought i wonder if its cutscenes at the beggining thats preventing you from just starting. I own the GoG version it plays the opening scenes so would the steam most likely but my friend made iso rips of the original disc and they do not play the cut scenes because originally you had to have disc into play the game anyway so they dont install saved space. Not sure if any of this wil be of any use but i hope you get it working. oh the console in game ....why didnt i start at this? Ok so your a dark elf thats getting murdered by a scamp can you acesss the keyboard ? If it will deploy hit the tilde key (~) and check the openmw wiki for all the commands. You should be able to litteraly do anything from the console including character creation. if you cannot deploy the ingame keyboard install hackers keyboard go into its options and enable permanent notification and you can deploy it via the notification and im sure it has tilde :). Best of luck hope you get it working.
Thanks for the advice

I am running the Steam version but tried earleir releases with same result.

Can't find the command line to create a character though in the wiki :(

P.S. I have now rooted and got GL Tools but sadly it has just made it worse ... just get a black screen with the controls overlayed, pauses then crashes out.

Is there a way of getting an error log, see if that gives me a hint?
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

krlsrrll wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 15:41
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 00:59
krlsrrll wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 20:48 I have a bit of a strange one ...

I am trying to run this on an Amazon Fire 10.1 and I can get it to load with the '--skip-menu 1' custom command line but:

- I go straight into the game as a dark elf called 'player', I am in the ashlands being attacked by a skamp and I have no equipment so I die

- If I then try starting a new game it drops me straight out

- I can only run Glesv2, if I try v1 it says 'Failed to create GraphicsContent'

Hope someone can help as this was to be my holiday entertainment in the Isle of Wight later this year!!!
Hmmmm. Are you rooted? i wonder if gltools would help? but for the sake of argument ill assume you are not.....in which case hmmmmm idk maybe try an earlier version the app https://github.com/xyzz/android-port/releases/.And as afterthought i wonder if its cutscenes at the beggining thats preventing you from just starting. I own the GoG version it plays the opening scenes so would the steam most likely but my friend made iso rips of the original disc and they do not play the cut scenes because originally you had to have disc into play the game anyway so they dont install saved space. Not sure if any of this wil be of any use but i hope you get it working. oh the console in game ....why didnt i start at this? Ok so your a dark elf thats getting murdered by a scamp can you acesss the keyboard ? If it will deploy hit the tilde key (~) and check the openmw wiki for all the commands. You should be able to litteraly do anything from the console including character creation. if you cannot deploy the ingame keyboard install hackers keyboard go into its options and enable permanent notification and you can deploy it via the notification and im sure it has tilde :). Best of luck hope you get it working.
Thanks for the advice

I am running the Steam version but tried earleir releases with same result.

Can't find the command line to create a character though in the wiki :(

P.S. I have now rooted and got GL Tools but sadly it has just made it worse ... just get a black screen with the controls overlayed, pauses then crashes out.

Is there a way of getting an error log, see if that gives me a hint?
It says the complete console command list is in morrowind construction set help file . I cant remeber the syntax i havent cheated at morrowind in a minute and thats the extent of my console experience. Did you try a non-digital download? Im not 100% sure of the reprecussions of deleting them, i dont think the cutscenes (.bik) are necessary. Or try mine https://mega.nz/#!ctlwWJjZ!tmXiSoc3nPZQ ... y_mM9F18iQ it is the original game of the year edition released on disc by bethesda. My friend ripped them into iso files that are on my pc at home so i just zipped my game directory. They are unmodded in any way though my intent was/is a pure vanilla base to mod. Just havent had the time . Thats strange i installed gltools and while it aliased the hell out of every point in the game where water and land met(looks like saw teeth) it did run the game i used version 3.06 which is the latest and when i installed i selected the 2nd plugin (the first does nothing). That being said i tried on a galaxy note 5 with an adreno430 gpu which supposably has excellent support. i would call it working lol or passable, but all i tried it on was this which really isnt its fortay. Its more for getting Shield Games to run on non-shield devices .
krlsrrll

Post by krlsrrll »

I have the steam version so did a vanilla install and just copied over the data files.

Will try your suggestions as determined to get it working if it's possible. I have latest GL Tools so that'll help ... Thanks.

Edit: Removing the video files worked .... Lol, now it crashes as I leave the ship at Seyda Neen though!!!! Seen several posts about that so will see what potential solutions there are.
mojoswagger1980

krlsrrll wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 07:43 I have the steam version so did a vanilla install and just copied over the data files.

Will try your suggestions as determined to get it working if it's possible. I have latest GL Tools so that'll help ... Thanks.

Edit: Removing the video files worked .... Lol, now it crashes as I leave the ship at Seyda Neen though!!!! Seen several posts about that so will see what potential solutions there are.
Thats fantastic! turn view distance all the way down (i assume you can bring up the option menu).Several other people had difficulty getting passed that and the first building but said it was smooth sailing after that. idk if its possible to import a save game but if all else fails theres that thought ....you would have to list what you wanted as far as race/skills/sex goes. i have never had any issues with the above. i cannot see under water if i select opengles2 as the graphics library (buzzkill alert)but lets stay focused on the positive :)
Did you try opengles1 since you deleted .bik files? wonder if that file extension is just unsupported .
devyl

Post by devyl »

Hey,

OpenMW runs wonderful on a Planet Computers Gemini. Bug could you please add the option to use a bluetooth mouse instead of the touchscreen for looking around?
Texafornian

Post by Texafornian »

This ESP-less collection of optimized meshes could greatly improve FPS for mobile users:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384

I haven't tested it on an Android device, but I've seen a big FPS difference on my PC, especially on Solstheim.
mojoswagger1980

devyl wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 16:54 Hey,

OpenMW runs wonderful on a Planet Computers Gemini. Bug could you please add the option to use a bluetooth mouse instead of the touchscreen for looking around?
Complete controller/keyboard support is already in play. you just need to interface it with device then configure via the ingame option. im using a ps4 controller/touchscreen combo and its identical to its pc counterpart in that regard.
mojoswagger1980

Controller Question:
Does anyone know of a means to map a modifier key to a controller. It would be abdolutely wonderful. id like to be able to add 8 spells/skills to the hotbar i have assigned to the directional pad. ideally i envision being able to map a modifier to the L1 button/R1 button (whichever feels better :) ) As always any help is greatly appreciated. On an unrelated note, i have been unable to get the game to crash since i decreased the view distance to its lowest setting and i sat there trying to get it to do so go into/out of multiple doors in succession which was the point that was causing crashes on my device which is a galaxy note 5 . Anyone experiencing crashes might try that.

****Stability also drastically improved switching from the GoG/steam distrubution of the game to the original. This is most likely due to the absence of the cutscenes (.bik) which are not installed in the original as they resided on the disc that was necessary to play the game. If you own the steam/GoG version a user (see above) actually got the game to run on his amazon fire by simply deleting them.
devyl

Post by devyl »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 19:28

Complete controller/keyboard support is already in play. you just need to interface it with device then configure via the ingame option. im using a ps4 controller/touchscreen combo and its identical to its pc counterpart in that regard.
Maybe this works with a controller, but the mouse doesn't move the ingame mouse... i cant select/assign it anywhere.
mojoswagger1980

devyl wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 19:47
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 19:28

Maybe this works with a controller, but the mouse doesn't move the ingame mouse... i cant select/assign it anywhere.
Thats really bizzarre. my standard optical mouse works fine.