Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Blue

Re: Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Post by Blue »

@davidcernat
Unless you're too far on the wrong side of the Dunning-Kruger effect, you need to take a step back and ask yourself if – as an unproven quantity even to yourself – you really know what you're talking about by suggesting we'll move closer to "OpenSkyrim already" with your "1-2 hours at evening" dedicated to killing cross-platform development.
You should read more carefully;
I outright dare to proclaim; If OpenMW would use DirectX exclusively we would have OpenSkyrim already.
Where exactly did I imply to use DirectX to progress to OpenSkyrim on my own ?
I did not imply that I would re-implement the OSG part, I made that clear multiple times. If OpenMW (which includes the whole team) would have used DirectX right from the beginning of the project, we would have progressed to an open source port of Skyrim already, that's what I suspect.

I could address more points here, but I think everything necessary has already been said. I took notice to certain concerns and re-evaluated some of my efforts.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

If OpenMW (which includes the whole team) would have used DirectX right from the beginning of the project, we would have progressed to an open source port of Skyrim already, that's what I suspect.
DirectX support was dropped only three years ago during the transition to OpenSceneGraph. That means OpenMW supported DirectX for 7 years of its existence. Somehow I doubt it affected the development speed that much.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

Blue wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 18:42 You should read more carefully;
I outright dare to proclaim; If OpenMW would use DirectX exclusively we would have OpenSkyrim already.
Where exactly did I imply to use DirectX to progress to OpenSkyrim on my own ?
I did not imply that I would re-implement the OSG part, I made that clear multiple times.
You've suggested we'd move closer to it. Key words: suggested, we, closer. Note how there's nothing there about you doing it all on your own. You want others to help.
Blue wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 18:42 If OpenMW (which includes the whole team) would have used DirectX right from the beginning of the project, we would have progressed to an open source port of Skyrim already, that's what I suspect.
I suspect the opposite: that only Linux-oriented leadership has had the open source culture necessary to start and sustain a project like this for a decade, and that nothing has been stopping the Windows-only developers from coming up with their own similar projects, but they just haven't managed.

As such, it can seem almost insulting to have random people from the internet come in on a successful project and say how it should have been done entirely differently instead, when these random people have no real qualifications to be talking about this topic.
Eli2

Post by Eli2 »

Blue is either a troll or incompetent.
Any discussion with him is a waste of time.
sjek

Post by sjek »

Blue is either a troll or incompetent.
Any discussion with him is a waste of time.
would't say so. it's not uncommon for these taking pages of postings. just had a meeting about volunteer's project future elsewhere and being thorough includes partially going in circles .p
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I will say this about Microsoft, they've been better under Satya.

However, privacy is a concern. User agreements are a concern. Ownership over hosted code is a concern.

I just don't think it's a good idea to support GitHub's decision to sell to them. FOSS deserves FOSS tools.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Linux is a great operating system, love to use it for servers and embedded devices,
the Microsoft of 2018 loves Open Source.

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/mi ... -reaction/

Which will be my last addition to this thread.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

lambda

Post by lambda »

"Which will be my last addition to this thread."

And thank God for these small mercies.