Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
wheybags

Re: Microsoft Buys Github for $7.5 Billion

Post by wheybags »

For what it's worth, I think I'm going to move my projects (incuding freeablo) to gitlab.
Also hello, haven't been around here for a long while :p
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

NullCascade wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:14 This thread is the biggest facepalm I've ever seen. Holy shit, it's like reading a Tumblr meltdown. Calm down and write some code, and stop being such fear-mongering, community-splintering Software Justice Warriors.
You're not helping here; if you have nothing to add other than name calling (ad hominem), then please keep it to yourself. Attacking developers for their opinion does nothing to further OpenMW, on the contrary, it demotivates people to write code which is the exact opposite of what you want.

Let people work on what they want, how they want regardless of politics.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Also, after looking into it, a possible issue could be that travis-ci only supports github, but there's an issue open for that already.
Gitlab does have its own CI, but it doesn't support osx like travis does.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

That'll be fixed in short order. ;)

By the way, the Circle-CI folks have Xenial support and are working on Bionic now. They even have OSX support.
https://circleci.com/build-environments/xcode/osx/
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

NullCascade wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 10:48 Jesus Tapdancing Christ you guys are paranoid AF.
NullCascade wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:14 This thread is the biggest facepalm I've ever seen. Holy shit, it's like reading a Tumblr meltdown. Calm down and write some code, and stop being such fear-mongering, community-splintering Software Justice Warriors.
I thought you wanted to get some sort of collaboration or discussion going on between OpenMW and your new take on MWSE? Let's just say you're not moving in a useful direction.
NullCascade

Post by NullCascade »

davidcernat wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:33I thought you wanted to get some sort of collaboration or discussion going on between OpenMW and your new take on MWSE? Let's just say you're not moving in a useful direction.
Collaboration was already shot down, OpenMW won't have backwards support for MWSE. Can't collaborate with just myself.

I do hope scrawl reconsiders. Even if each and every fear comes true (which they won't) the changes won't happen for a while. This reactionary nonsense helps no one, and hurts the project. OpenMW is already an obscure project, and on top of that it caters mostly to Linux developers. On top of that it wants to not use mainstream sites, and abruptly pull major developers from communicating on pull requests, gists, etc.?

Calm down. There's not going to be a change overnight. Plan. Migrate if needed. Overnight reactions aren't healthy for your projects.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

NullCascade wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:43On top of that it wants to not use mainstream sites, and abruptly pull major developers from communicating on pull requests, gists, etc.?
This is fear mongering, FUD on your part. What individual developers want to do is their own problem but OpenMW isn't forcing anyone to migrate away from GitHub. Please correct me if I'm wrong however, I did not read that to be the case in this thread.
NullCascade

Post by NullCascade »

psi29a wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:50
NullCascade wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:43On top of that it wants to not use mainstream sites, and abruptly pull major developers from communicating on pull requests, gists, etc.?
This is fear mongering, FUD on your part. What individual developers want to do is their own problem but OpenMW isn't forcing anyone to migrate away from GitHub. Please correct me if I'm wrong however, I did not read that to be the case in this thread.
... what? It literally just happened. Scrawl deleted his GitHub account. He won't be able to comment on any PR-held discussions on the site. So where are those conversations going to happen now? Does Zini alone handle PRs on GitHub? Does Zini save himself the headache and follow Scrawl and live in that ecosystem instead? Do they start monitoring PRs on BitBucket too? If half the team won't go onto GitHub to join conversations there, what's the least painful way to collaborate?

People taking hard, political stances against hypothetical threats has already diminished the ease of communication on the project. Now there're two sites to monitor. That's not FUD. That's fact.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Scrawl has been gone for awhile now, feel free to search for the thread that he announced on, every once in awhile he popped on to give his 2 cents and that was it. In that thread, it was said that the rest of the devs would pick up the slack. As a result, Zini, Chris (kcat) and myself have been more active in reviewing and helping PRs. OpenMW is not a one-man show.

That Scrawl wanted a break was obvious (he even said it himself) for anyone who has kept up on the forums, that he made the break and deleted his account is his decision. That's fine, he'll just contribute via other means. That was his decision, not of OpenMW itself, please don't conflate the two.

You're panicking over nothing or rather, you're creating your own panic and trying to drag everyone down with you. You're the only one here that seems to have a problem that other developers have opinions that differ from your own.

Just be pragmatic and go with it.

If you want to develop on GH, you're free to do so. If you wish to develop on GL, that's fine too but we're not there yet.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

OpenMW is already an obscure project, and on top of that it caters mostly to Linux developers.
NullCascade, I'm still waiting on you adding a MESSAGE call to the CMake so I can fix your issues with building OpenMW on Windows (which AFAICT you've still only reported via the unofficial Discord server instead of on the issue tracker). You can't keep claiming that it's hard to build OpenMW on Windows if we're doing everything possible to make it easy.