OpenMW 0.44.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
DestinedToDie

Re: OpenMW 0.44.0

Post by DestinedToDie »

ladyonthemoon wrote: 25 May 2018, 17:01 Hi there!

Sorry that I intrude; I just have a noob question: will the saves we made with OpenMW 0.43.0 be compatible with 0.44.0?
Yes.
ladyonthemoon

Post by ladyonthemoon »

DestinedToDie wrote: 25 May 2018, 17:59
ladyonthemoon wrote: 25 May 2018, 17:01 Hi there!

Sorry that I intrude; I just have a noob question: will the saves we made with OpenMW 0.43.0 be compatible with 0.44.0?
Yes.
Thank you. :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We 'try' to stay forward compatible, but make no promises about being backwards compatible.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Checking in. :)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The biggest issues right now are ones I can only replicate with a viewing distance at 100x times the default (at which point we have Z-fighting on distant terrain anyway, but either way I'd like to know if someone can reproduce it with a saner value), distant terrain turned on, and terrain shadows turned on. I'm pretty sure one of these is caused by an OSG bug and the other is either an OSG bug, OSG missing a sensible feature, or because we're using OSG wrong, so either something that should be easy to fix or something that needs to be fixed by Robert Osfield instead of me.

Beyond that, one of the issues requires something to work that I couldn't make work last time I tried it, potentially due to an OSG bug, but I might need to discuss the details with Scrawl (or maybe the OSG mailing list if I can get Robert to avoid hurling insults at me for breaking a rule which the forum interface didn't tell me about) if I can't fix it myself. Another is OpenGL error spam, and when I tried to investigate it with APITrace, the errors seemed nonsensical, so some discussion with Scrawl might be beneficial there, too. There's yet another issue that I might be able to solve elegantly if I discuss it with Scrawl, but can solve less elegantly by myself.

Basically, right now, with the default OpenMW settings, I can only reproduce 3 issues, all of which are relatively minor. There's also no GUI to set the shadow settings, but Akortunov has made a PR to my repo to fix that and it doesn't need ridiculous modification to become usable.

I'd be very disappointed if shadows weren't mergeable (except for issues within OSG) within a couple of weeks.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Are shadows to a point where we could merge them and handle the lingering issues as bugs? Like, is it "complete" enough to just merge and move forward? Or is there a change the whole thing will need to be discarded or reworked?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm of the opinion that we should increment over time instead of waiting for a big bang when everything is 'perfect', which we all know that there is nothing perfect and software per definition is never finished nor perfect, just improved.

Let's get this merged in when AnyOldName3 feels ready and confident, the remaining are known-issues that can/will be worked on for the next release.

This puts Shadows firmly 'out-there' and in the hands of the end-users which is a good thing. Report all the bugs. ;)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The benefit to holding back shadows until they're done or nearly done is that it minimises the number of sweeping changes that get made, undone, and replaced.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 25 May 2018, 23:26 (or maybe the OSG mailing list if I can get Robert to avoid hurling insults at me for breaking a rule which the forum interface didn't tell me about)
Can you create a new account and post with it as if nothing ever happened? My understanding is that Robert doesn't need you to use your real name, but insists on you using a name that sounds real. Yes, his reaction was unnecessary, but there's no point in dwelling on it. Let's get over his one eccentricity for the sake of all the good he's done by almost single-handedly creating OSG.
jonimacarroni

Post by jonimacarroni »

Just to say that from a production (end user) standpoint, having shadows in 0.44 could help bug finding. Also, I'm no software engineer, but if build your stuff in a scalable way, you would probably not have many problems if you need to replace chunks in the future.