Speech recognition?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
histamiini

Speech recognition?

Post by histamiini »

Could something like this work with OpenMW? For example you say "What's your backround?" and then it selects the backround topic?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecial ... mods/16514

"Adds speech recognition to Skyrim VR or Skyrim SE so you can recite your dialogue lines to select them."
AnyOldName3

Re: Speech recognition?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I doubt that that kind of feature would ever get merged, but it might serve as a good example of a not-incredibly-contrived mod which requires the ability to execute native code (which there's been heated debate about).
Chris

Post by Chris »

The speech processing should probably be part of the base engine, since you'll likely want things like an input device selector and have a common place where the speech is processed (ensuring it would work across platforms). Then there'd be hooks for any enabled mods to get the speech data and do what they want with it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

That's an interesting idea. A speech entry control would probably be useful (hold spacebar to select a topic)

Clear and accurate speech recognition is becoming pretty easy. Aside from the complication of needing to make this a part of the engine ('native code' problem that AnyOldName3 brought up) this isn't a super difficult problem (theoretically).
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Building speech recognition in: (arguably) dumb feature creep which locks OpenMW users into one speech recognition system forever.

Allowing speech recognition to be loaded as a native code plugin: potentially a security risk as there's no way to prove it's safe.

My $0.02: Even huge engines (with the option to exclude features from a build) like UE4 require a 3rd-party engine plugin for speech recognition. I've never seen anyone claim that every UE4 game is a security risk because the engine supports plugins. It's a fun idea, but implementing lots of fun ideas just seems to me like a recipe for a confusing system where nothing makes sense.
Chris

Post by Chris »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 10 May 2018, 02:05 Building speech recognition in: (arguably) dumb feature creep which locks OpenMW users into one speech recognition system forever.
It can be updated and improved in the future, nothing to say it'll be the same forever and ever.
Allowing speech recognition to be loaded as a native code plugin: potentially a security risk as there's no way to prove it's safe.
And platform-specific since each platform would need a different native library to load, and mod-locked since it depends on what the mod includes on its release rather than what the engine provides with its latest version. Realistically, we'll see more updates for the engine than any given mod, as well.
My $0.02: Even huge engines (with the option to exclude features from a build) like UE4 require a 3rd-party engine plugin for speech recognition. I've never seen anyone claim that every UE4 game is a security risk because the engine supports plugins.
UE4 games aren't designed for modding like this. A UE4 plugin is for developers that specifically design the game around having that plugin, not for post-release add-ons that any old user distributes. They also tend to be highly version-specific, with plugins needing to be updated along-side the engine.