Poll: Quickload behavior

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.

What should we do with quickload?

Leave it as it is (load the latest save)
43%
Make it work like in Morrowind (load the latest quicksave)
57%
Something entirely different (post your idea)
No votes

Total votes: 37

Capostrophic

Poll: Quickload behavior

Post by Capostrophic »

It has come to the developers' attention that the current behavior of quickload in OpenMW isn't consistent with what the behavior in Bethesda games including Morrowind is. Namely, quickload in OpenMW loads the latest save available, while quickload in Morrowind loads the quicksave.

The view points during the discussion of pro-vanilla changes have divided, so, as suggested by scrawl, there's a certain need in user input for what's the best alternative to go for.
heilkitty

Re: Poll: Quickload behavior

Post by heilkitty »

Despite not having a strong opinion, I voted for vanilla behavior. Maybe, you could implement a "Continue" main menu option to load the latest save in addition to that (shouldn't be too hard, as I understand).
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I am strongly in favour of quickload loading the latest save, regardless of how that save was made.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'm in favor of loading the latest save as well. Quickload is for when you want to, well, quickly load a save, usually to go back a bit to what you were just doing because something bad happened (either you're about to die, an NPC died that you need/want alive, you got stuck due to some glitch, etc). In such a case, you shouldn't have to be concerned about whether the last save was done using the Quicksave button or was a manual/hard save. As I said in the PR, Quickload and Quicksave is for quick access to the save/load functionality, not its own separate system. You can manually load quicksaves, so why not quickly load manual saves?
raevol

Post by raevol »

I'm of the "quick load only loads quick saves" camp. I know they are technically implemented as the same thing, but in my mind as a user they are different things. One is a "hard save" and one a "soft save" and I would use their functionality differently.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If we change it to match Morrowind, which is what the poll seems to be suggesting will happen, there better be a setting to put the behaviour back to how healthy people like it. Every game I've played and used the quicksave system of has allowed you to load any type of save. I don't know if I took a non-representative sample, but if so, it's because quicksave systems are a massive pain and can't be relied on if they work like vanilla Morrowind.
raevol

Post by raevol »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 00:04how healthy people like it.
*coughs infection on you*
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

What is meant by quickload? Like upon dying? Or upon loading OpenMW you and going from the first main menu?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Greendogo wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 00:50 What is meant by quickload?
When you press the quick load button.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Definitely have the default be vanilla game behavior whenever possible. A cfg setting to change it to current behavior would be appreciated, however. I personally prefer the current behavior, but voted to change to vanilla game style because I believe that vanilla game behavior should always be available, and when available, should probably be the default as well. We can give more choices in OpenMW, so I'd like to see us do so. Removing vanilla functionality should be avoided as much as possible IMHO. Giving the option to change it is a different story entirely.