Natural Character Growth and Decay - An OpenMW Leveling Mod

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
Greywander

Re: Natural Character Growth and Decay - An OpenMW Leveling Mod

Post by Greywander »

Greywander wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 10:36I didn't really realize how important this mod was, but I guess it really is the only Natural Grow mod that actually works with OpenMW (at the moment).
This sounds a lot more pretentious than I intended, what I really meant was that this was really just a mod I made for my own benefit, but there seems to have been considerable demand for it. Regardless, I'm glad that others are able to benefit from my work.

Also, I've just released version 3.0. Included is a modified version for Alternate Start mods and TES3MP. Just drink the potion to start the mod. I haven't tested this except with my own setup which didn't require it, so I don't know if it will actually work or not. Let me know what your results are.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Hello, Greywander. Thank you for keeping your mod updated. I want to know if I can just replace NCGD on my save or I need to clean it before add the new version.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

Oof, that's a good question. What happens when you update a mod that has a script running? Does it execute the new script, or keep running the old one? Are saved variables carried over?

I do know that ncgdMW isn't designed to be installed on an existing save, so that might be something to work on for a later version. I think all you'd need to do is input what your initial attributes were (including favored attributes and birthsign bonuses).

For now I would either start a new game using the new version, or keep using the old version and someday I might be able to get that updated. Unfortunately, I just tried running OpenMW and got a "Failed to create GraphicsContext" fatal error, so it looks like an update won't be coming in the immediate future.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

BEHOLD! I managed to sort out the issue I was having with OpenMW (turns out I had to revert an nvidia update) and completed version 3.1. You can now install ncgdMW on an existing save, including updating from an older version. I've only given this new version minimal testing so far, but it seemed to work. Do make sure to clean your save first, just in case.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Will do. Thank you.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

Something just occurred to me (because I have a pretty good track record of remembering things after they mattered), but if you're updating from an older version of the mod, skill mastery won't carry over. So if you have a skill over 100 then you'll lose the mastery bonuses.

For now, the only solution is to right down your skill ranks before you update, and then use the "player->modSkill" or "setSkill" commands to manual set your skills back where they should be.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I'll probably make this an entirely separate mod, but would people prefer to have it merged into the main ncgdMW mod? I feel like making them separate gives people the freedom to choose, and some folks might prefer to use vanilla birthsigns and racials or use a different mod.

I may or may not try and rebalance the races as well. I feel like Breton is OP in every TES game so far, and many races just aren't appealing unless you just really want to be Fargoth. I'll have to think about this in some more depth.
Keep them separate like you did with the magicka based skill progression and regen mod.

I've looked extensively at the nexus and other mod locations and noticed many mods that were written specifically to reverse some part of a large mod / combination of mods. It's also much easier to maintain 10 small mods then 1 huge mod with same functionlaity as the 10 small ones.
jonimacarroni

Post by jonimacarroni »

Is there any way to edit the decaying speeds? As they are now, even the lowest setting seems to be a bit too fast for people trying to play without using training sessions with master NPCs.
i30817

Post by i30817 »

Hey. You shouldn't use

MessageBox "Your Heavy Armor skill increased to %.0g.", temp

in openmw if temp is a long value. I don't know if the original morrowind accepts this (if it does it's a bug and a bug report should be opened), but in openmw this outputs 'strange' exponential notation float values.

But regardless of vanilla, since these messages are for integers (longs whatever)

MessageBox "Your Heavy Armor skill increased to %g.", temp

should be used.
i30817

Post by i30817 »

Also i'm doing a mod to replace 'save skill books' mod that works with any mod added book (though a merge-like process), and your mod Magicka Based Skill Progression called my attention for having hundreds of level up 'skill' books. Since you mention in the readme that this method is no longer used, could you please remove them from the esp?

Just for my peace of mind. Oh well, it probably doesn't matter even in the original, but it's good to remove stuff you don't use.