[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
MorrowindOnMaPhone

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by MorrowindOnMaPhone »

Morrowind is almost completely unplayable on phones. The sole reason is the controls. Using a mouse cursor just isn't applicable on a touchscreen.

Second problem is how tiny the text popups and other windows are. You can't see a thing. The only playable version of Morrowind on a phone would be the Xbox version. Is there a way to play the Xbox version on android?
lysol

Post by lysol »

MorrowindOnMaPhone wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 16:26 Morrowind is almost completely unplayable on phones. The sole reason is the controls. Using a mouse cursor just isn't applicable on a touchscreen.

Second problem is how tiny the text popups and other windows are. You can't see a thing. The only playable version of Morrowind on a phone would be the Xbox version. Is there a way to play the Xbox version on android?
The xbox version? You would still get more or less the exact same game. OpenMW is a new engine, so using the assets of the PC or the xbox version makes no difference.

But since OpenMW is open source, a developer can, in time, make the game be more friendly for touch screen and adjust the UI to be bigger. It's just a matter of time (and dedication) really.

Patience. :)
MorrowindOnMaPhone

lysol wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 17:11
MorrowindOnMaPhone wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 16:26 Morrowind is almost completely unplayable on phones. The sole reason is the controls. Using a mouse cursor just isn't applicable on a touchscreen.

The xbox version? You would still get more or less the exact same game. OpenMW is a new engine, so using the assets of the PC or the xbox version makes no difference.

But since OpenMW is open source, a developer can, in time, make the game be more friendly for touch screen and adjust the UI to be bigger. It's just a matter of time (and dedication) really.

Patience. :)
But I want to play noowww!
MorrowindOnMaPhone

Omg all it took to make the text and windows bigger was to set GUI scaling to 2.

Sorry my bad. The game is very playable now. I should read more forum posts before I start whining.

Now the only problem is how to change the resolution. The game is stuck at 2416 x 1440, which as you can imagine produces some low framerates. Secondly, how do you hide the navigation bar? I mean how do you force immersive mode?
mattwla

Post by mattwla »

Samsung phones have the game tuner option, which lets you set custom resolutions. Not sure if that'l help here but it might be a start.
Lfire

Post by Lfire »

Please says, how can i change controls on GamePad (or another system keys)? Without emulation via touch (Sixaxis). I have Xperia and Dualshock3. It can be possible to manually change the config?
dnbreloaded

Post by dnbreloaded »

Excellent work! I had a couple of crashes but now it's running smooth. The game only launches in gles 2 mode though. I'm using a zenfone 2 with a x86 processor too.
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

I've uploaded a new apk. The changes are:

* The on-screen controls system has been completely rewritten. Customizing OSC works now. I've also added F1/F3/F4/F10/F11 virtual keys.
* Added an option to configure physics fps. Set it to lower than default 60 to improve performance.
* Three-finger tap for keyboard has been replaced with an OSC button.
* Updated some dependencies versions
* Updated openmw to latest (1e600de44e1da257874f75d1e5e58178a0051709 + 2 android-specific patches)
Talik

Post by Talik »

Joined this forum mainly for this. Thank you for all the hard work. This is amazingly awesome.

The update looks good all new functions seem to be working as described.

Still can't switch out of the app without game (not app) going black.

What info is needed to help troubleshoot this?

Thank you
Tal
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

It's a known issue, no additional info needed.