MCP-like menu

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Berandas

Re: MCP-like menu

Post by Berandas »

The new menu is pretty handy. Good work!
I was trying enabling the features, but some seems a bit confusing to me.
Namely the Weapon range and Weapon speed values in their tooltips. Both are shown in %, which feels odd.
When I have a weapon with 250% speed and 450% range, how far can it actually reach and how fast can it actually attack? ;)
lysol

Post by lysol »

Berandas wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 19:06 When I have a weapon with 250% speed and 450% range, how far can it actually reach and how fast can it actually attack? ;)
I would guess 2,5 times as fast and 4,5 times as far away..? 100 % is probably "standard" speed and reach. Just my guess.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

I offcourse understand that, lysol. ;)
What I mean is to interpret the value in human-readable speciffic unit, take damage as an example, it has a speciffic value range, like 10-20 pts, which is 2 times higher than 5-10 pts, but we don't use 100% and 200% dmg. That would be silly.
I actually equipped a weapon with the reach of 1000% - what does it say? That it has 10x more reach than a dagger? How far that actually is? When it say the reach is 10 meters (here is the problem with MW unit system), then I can much simply imagine how far I can actually reach with the weapon. That's what I meant.
With speed it's a bit more complicated. So, what does the speed of 100 % mean? The speed of a dagger swing?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

You know, this is why I'm sceptical to adding such settings, because people inevitably ask for more and more. Improved scripting capabilities should really be the main focus.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Berandas wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 23:50 I offcourse understand that, lysol. ;)
What I mean is to interpret the value in human-readable speciffic unit, take damage as an example, it has a speciffic value range, like 10-20 pts, which is 2 times higher than 5-10 pts, but we don't use 100% and 200% dmg. That would be silly.
I actually equipped a weapon with the reach of 1000% - what does it say? That it has 10x more reach than a dagger? How far that actually is? When it say the reach is 10 meters (here is the problem with MW unit system), then I can much simply imagine how far I can actually reach with the weapon. That's what I meant.
With speed it's a bit more complicated. So, what does the speed of 100 % mean? The speed of a dagger swing?
For right now, what's really important is that it gives a point of comparison with other weapons. Hopefully once you get a feel for the speed and reach of one, the parameters on it can give you a metric for figuring out others. Anything more is probably post-1.0 mod stuff.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

scrawl wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 01:49 You know, this is why I'm sceptical to adding such settings, because people inevitably ask for more and more. Improved scripting capabilities should really be the main focus.
Yeah, I understand, it's no big deal. But the demand for new/better features is one of the points of evoluton from the obsolete vanilla MW engine.
Anyway, the features are working well and that's important. Thanks!
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Berandas wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 19:06 The new menu is pretty handy. Good work!
I was trying enabling the features, but some seems a bit confusing to me.
Namely the Weapon range and Weapon speed values in their tooltips. Both are shown in %, which feels odd.
When I have a weapon with 250% speed and 450% range, how far can it actually reach and how fast can it actually attack? ;)
You're better off suggesting that in a new thread. The MCP-like menu here just saves you the trouble of editing the openmw.cfg file in a text editor. It doesn't actually add any new features that couldn't be accessed elsewhere.