Mod Help for a Mac User?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Jwn121

Mod Help for a Mac User?

Post by Jwn121 »

I have a Mac, and I've tried alot of things, including my own ideas, and I've looked on wikis and posts. But I cannot find anything regarding modding OpenMW on a Mac. I'm currently only trying the Morrowind Overhaul mod, but at this point, I'm not sure I even can. Anybody have any tips? Thanks for your help! :D

P.S. I have a data files directory under OpenMW already, and my game works fine.
Thunderforge

Re: Mod Help for a Mac User?

Post by Thunderforge »

Are you having trouble loading mods? If so, what are the steps you are trying?
Jwn121

Post by Jwn121 »

Thunderforge wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 04:15 Are you having trouble loading mods? If so, what are the steps you are trying?
I was just trying to get all of the mod's data, then I put it into a mods data directory that I put in the same place as all the data for Morrowind. I'm not sure which part is wrong, the mods or the directory, but I fiddled with it and nothing would work. I'm not exactly the best with this sort of thing, so it's prpbably obvious but whatever.
P.S. the mods I tried to install simply did nothing, and gave no in-game differences.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

OpenMW handles mods a bit differently than original Morrowind, so mods that were written for the original game are probably inaccurate.

The Mod Installation page on the wiki provides a lot of information. The cliff notes version for Mac users is:
  1. Put the extracted mods anywhere you want (I have an "OpenMW Mods" folder)
  2. Open the openmw.cfg file. On a Mac, you can quickly find it in the Finder by going to the menu bar and selecting "Go" → "Go to Folder…" and typing in "~/Library/Preferences/openmw/openmw.cfg"
  3. Find the lines that start with "data="
  4. Add a new line that says "data="/path/to/your/mod" (e.g. data="~/OpenMW Mods/TamrielRebuilt")
  5. Save your file openmw.cfg file
You will know that it works if the launcher shows it.

Hopefully that helps; let us know how that works.
Jwn121

Post by Jwn121 »

Thunderforge wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 03:48 You will know that it works if the launcher shows it.
Thanks for the help, but I followed the directions and nothing is showing up in the launcher as far as I can tell. Would it just show up in the data files tab? The mods aren't loading either, but I'll also keep trying a few things and provide information later on as well.

P.S. I figured out that the directory I put in the .cfg was wrong, and I fixed that. Other than that, I think the mod is the problem. I'll try a mod that I know works and is easier to install, then add more here. :ugeek:

P.P.S. Alright, so, after trial and error I found out that the files needed to be in a certain order, and that I needed to remove some files altogether from the folder (Readmes, conifgs, installation guides, etc.). Regarding '.omwaddon' files: You can just take them and drag them into your data files folder for regular Morrowind, and you don't need to make a 'data=' line in the '.cfg'. Thanks for all the help, I've got it figured out now. For anyone else, good luck, and I hope this helped! :D