Open Morrowind overhaul is gone?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Cammera

Open Morrowind overhaul is gone?

Post by Cammera »

Not much to say; https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45286 is gone from the nexus, and I couldn't find any relevant info neither here nor in openMW's wiki's mod list.
Anybody has any idea of what happened?
lysol

Re: Open Morrowind overhaul is gone?

Post by lysol »

I personally have never even heard of this OpenMW-OP mod before, and yet I read anything OpenMW related almost daily. When did you find this mod?
Cammera

Post by Cammera »

johnelros

Post by johnelros »

Cammera wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 20:48 Anybody has any idea of what happened?
Now it has new webpage.
Last edited by johnelros on 31 Jan 2018, 04:56, edited 2 times in total.
RubberMan

Post by RubberMan »

Maybe because it infringes copyright on so many levels?

Thankfully the new website has already been reported by several angry modders with pitch forks :lol:
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

RubberMan wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 15:12 Maybe because it infringes copyright on so many levels?
In what way does it infringe copyright? If it does, then I think we probably ought to remove it from the mod list, since we don’t want to promote that.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Possibly related?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... ul-project

The guy is trying to make money off the backs of others, I seriously he got permission from the mod's authors, otherwise he would have listed them in a copyrights/contribution document like I did for Zini's Ultima TC.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Exactly. We'll so how this goes. What I don't like is the name, because people might confuse it to be linked with the OpenMW project somehow. I guess it's nothing illegal about it since open source and all, but it's still kind of unethical if you ask me.

What is this, really now? A modpack? He seriously wants money for a modpack?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Pre-OpenMW it wasn't possible to ask for money for a modpack as Bethesda owned the rights to anything the CS had touched. Now our open-source construction set exists (because apparently XEdit tools like TES5Edit don't count and people regard Bethesda as still owning the rights to mods made with them) people don't have to care what Bethesda think, so there'll be people trying to grab money any way they can, even if they end up violating the rights of modders (as modders are less likely to take legal action than Bethesda).
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

It looks like the author of this project is forum user TimMB (he was also the one who added it to the OpenMW Wiki). So it looks like he is able to respond to these threads directly.

I went ahead and downloaded the project to see what it was. It's 2.3 GB of mods, all in .omwaddon format. It includes the official Bethesda mods and over 200 other mods. The readmes for all the mods are included in a folder. It also includes the original Morrowind music, but no other game assets that I could find.

The stated goal is as follows:
In this project I am correcting: meshes, textures, broken quests, misconfigured scripts, incorporating derived community modding works directly into the patch to reduce the number of patches needed and selectivly improving graphics.
Not a bad goal, but I couldn't find any indication that he had gotten the permission of the original mod authors, much less any agreement to make money through their work.

The author also has a GoFundMe, Patreon, and PayPal connected via NexusMods, which I won't link to so as not to encourage search engine traffic. The Kickstarter is the latest of these fundraising methods. I have no idea what the legalities are regarding making money with mods, but I suspect that making money through a modpack of others' mods isn't okay.