How to run OpenMW with steam Morrowind on MAC?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Jwn121

How to run OpenMW with steam Morrowind on MAC?

Post by Jwn121 »

I have, sadly, no access to a PC and thus must play games on my MAC computer. I had already purchased Morrowind on Steam before I found OpenMW, but as I cannot install Morrowind on my Mac through Steam, I can't get it into my finder as a folder and so I can't load it onto OpenMW and actually play the game. I've looked up a number of things on google, spent a few hours searching to no avail, looked on youtube and there's nothing for mac, so I decided to come here, where I know that there are successful MAC players. Thanks for the help! :D
P.S. Any good mods for when I figure it out? Thanks again!
lysol

Re: How to run OpenMW with steam Morrowind on MAC?

Post by lysol »

You have the same avatar/profile picture as drummyfish, which is... very confusing.

Anyway, I think I recall steamcmd worked on mac too. Anyone?
PatDaRat

Post by PatDaRat »

Sure! I have managed to get OpenMW working on a Mac using Steam files taken from my PC. Even if you don't have easy access to a PC, I'm sure you can still install the PC version of Morrowind on your Mac using Wine (https://www.winehq.org/). So:

1) Install Wine on your Mac
2) Install the PC version of Steam in Wine
3) Login and download Morrowind
4) You should be able to access the game files. I believe your Wine C-Drive lives here: ~/.wine/drive_c/

I don't know much about steamcmd. My personal experience is that it was too much of a hassle when I tried using it.

Hopefully this helps :)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

No need to install Wine. You can have your Mac Steam client get tricked into downloading Morrowind straight onto your Mac. Check out these instructions on our Wiki.

That’s what I use and it works like a charm.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thunderforge wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 18:10 No need to install Wine. You can have your Mac Steam client get tricked into downloading Morrowind straight onto your Mac. Check out these instructions on our Wiki.

That’s what I use and it works like a charm.
How did I miss this?
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

lysol wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 21:08 How did I miss this?
Not sure, but if you figure out a better way so people don’t miss it, let us know so that others can avoid the same problem.
Tub6

Post by Tub6 »

Anyone know if it's possible to rum two separate installations of the game? I have mine from steam and am running openmw on Mac. So far it seems impossible to run two steam versions but maybe someone knows a way?
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Not sure about Steam, but multiple installations of openmw.exe running concurrently is absolutely possible, as I sometimes do for testing purposes.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's MacOS that's being asked about here, so it might be different. I know things are kept by name in Applications, so it might not be possible to have multiple versions side-by-side.