OpenMW Nightly builds

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Ace (SWE)

Re: OpenMW Nightly builds

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I'll finally be able to return to my desktop later today, so I should be able to start working on installing Windows again.

Luckily Windows only ruined its own system drive, so none of the data or tools were touched by it, meaning I should hopefully just be able to reinstall the tools and use the original setup from there.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Managed to finish up a new development environment - though due to space constraints with my setup I had to stick to only VS2017.

Going to build and publish some preliminary nightlies with the VS2017 setup, though these will be without the redistributable installers - and therefore might need to have said redistributables (probably both Visual C++ 2017 and 2015) installed from Microsoft if missing DLL errors appear.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

The user wareya has reported that the Windows nightly build has been stuck on b86118f76 since at least January 10th. Is that something you are currently investigating?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I hand-built some nightlies on the fourth, but wasn't at all sure if they'd work or not for people with older Windows versions, was hoping to hear a word from anyone if that was the case or not.

But oh well, I've written up a new nightly schedule, so they should start building automatically again. Hopefully the lack of complaints means things are working.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

They'd been broken for at least a fortnight before it was noticed last time. A lack of complaints doesn't mean all that much.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Should've been a bit more explicit in my wording there, I meant about the builds I made manually actually working or not.

But hopefully people should be more vocal about complaining about builds that they download not working, much easier to notice that rather than the builds not updating.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

It looks like we now have a new version for 32-bit Windows, but still the old one for 64-bit Windows. Is that a separate process?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

They build sequentially, so the 64-bit build won't start until the 32-bit one is finished and uploaded, so 32-bit builds end up updating ~15-30 minutes before the 64-bit ones.

Should probably change that order around, since people are more likely to use that one.

Heck, maybe I should stop doing 32-bit nightlies altogether, since there literally hasn't been any new 32-bit only systems since the earliest days of Windows XP.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Ace (SWE) wrote:They build sequentially, so the 64-bit build won't start until the 32-bit one is finished and uploaded, so 32-bit builds end up updating ~15-30 minutes before the 64-bit ones.
Are you sure that’s working? Page 1 of this thread still shows the old version from the beginning of January, and it’s been well over 30 minutes since I last posted.
Ace (SWE) wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 23:10 Should probably change that order around, since people are more likely to use that one.
I think most users would appreciate that.
Ace (SWE) wrote:Heck, maybe I should stop doing 32-bit nightlies altogether, since there literally hasn't been any new 32-bit only systems since the earliest days of Windows XP.
Do you have download statistics on your site? If so, it would be worth checking how often they are accessed vs the 64-bit versions. That said, I wonder if we should keep nightlies so long as we are supporting a 32-bit release. I’d hate to make a new release and be surprised that it doesn’t work due to a commit 3 months ago that broke it, but it was never caught.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Thunderforge wrote:Are you sure that’s working? Page 1 of this thread still shows the old version from the beginning of January, and it’s been well over 30 minutes since I last posted.
I think your browser has cached an old image in that case, because it's all updated on both my side and on the server;

(And it apparently managed that build in a breathtaking 11m at that, so I think VS2017 is much better in the speed department)

To note; I've modified the task to start with 64-bit builds from now on.
Thunderforge wrote:Do you have download statistics on your site? If so, it would be worth checking how often they are accessed vs the 64-bit versions. That said, I wonder if we should keep nightlies so long as we are supporting a 32-bit release. I’d hate to make a new release and be surprised that it doesn’t work due to a commit 3 months ago that broke it, but it was never caught.
Sadly don't have download stats from the current host, so I can't say how many people are using the 32-bit build versus the 64-bit one.

But when it comes to detecting breakage we do have AppVeyor, which is currently set to apparently only build 32-bit builds.
Should probably look over its configuration.