OpenMW PPA

A generic talk on the OpenMW project.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

OpenMW PPA

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote: Devs, I implore thee...

Please please pretty please, at some point could we set up a PPA for OpenMW? This was mentioned in the Project Recovery thread, but I feel so strongly about this I feel it deserved its own topic.

There are oodles and oodles of people out there who are technical enough to connect to a PPA and install a package from it, and then tinker around and give feedback. I know that at this point in the process that feedback is going to have a terrible signal to noise ratio because everything's half built, but later it's going to be very handy.

Devs compile their work every few seconds it seems, so they don't realize just how maddeningly difficult compiling is for non-devs. It's not the compile itself, it's the dependencies, compiler warnings, and everything else that precludes the actual compile itself. The barrier for entry for people who aren't contributing code is just too high to get all that done simply for the purpose of doing some gratis QA.

So on my knees with wringing handles and big wet salty tears in my eyes, I beg you, can we set up a PPA at some point?
Hircine wrote: I will explore the possibilities of setting up a PPA.

I have failed at making a DEB package so don't get your hopes up.
someone else might be able to do it. wish me luck :P

EDIT: great, it requires me to have made a deb package. but never fear, for i have found a guide. :P
raevol wrote: :lol:

Link to the guide?
Hircine wrote: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete

maybe this will help.
Peppe wrote: You can try

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.pappkartong.se/ unstable contrib
It contains an amd64 build using cmake/cpack of the current state (b4d55d3) of my paths branch.

It should be noted that the repository also contains an empty dummy package for libogremain-1.7.1.
This package does NOT contain orge, it is just to satisfy the dependency checks to allow installation of the openmw package. So you need to install ogre some other way. I'm not building a real ogre package since there already is a 1.7.1 package for Debian awaiting acceptance to be included in the official repositories.
If you have ogre installed through the package manager you may want to be a bit careful so you don't mess it up by replacing it with my dummy package.
Peppe wrote:
Peppe wrote:I'm not building a real ogre package since there already is a 1.7.1 package for Debian awaiting acceptance to be included in the official repositories.
Seems the ogre 1.7.1 packages was accepted for the official Debian repositories today so it will by my understanding be available as soon as they are synchronized.