OpenMW 0.44.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
CMAugust

Re: OpenMW 0.44.0

Post by CMAugust »

drummyfish wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 22:59For the water shader we could change the behavior from emitting a ripple particle (current behavior) to sending info to the shader which would then render the ripples with the same function it renders the rain ripples, i.e. using what we already have, only the ripple would be bigger. It would also be an opportunity to improve the current ripple look which is kinda simple.
I'm all for better ripples. During rain especially, vanilla Morrowind's water can still leave OpenMW's for dead.
I know that scrawl mentioned a vanilla shader option is/was on his do-to list, so he might have a few ideas to share.
raevol

Post by raevol »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 07 Dec 2017, 23:08I'd be surprised if shadows weren't done before 0.44 releases, and expect them to be done before the feature freeze. That said, I was also expecting to be finished by now until I wasn't, so something might change.
Fingers crossed!
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Partially done. For now, I have problems with effect scaling, and need help from someone with better understanding of particle system.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Keep up the good work guys!

Not going to be a feature release huh? This would be a nice feature to have (I'm biased, since I filed for it): Bug #4001: Toggle sneak shortcut
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

When we're discussing new features, one of the things I'd like to see the most is post-processing shaders. I couldn't help but make a mockup video of what it could look like here. I guess this one is in the further future though, but scrawl has already got it planned in the bugtracker.
Last edited by drummyfish on 08 Dec 2017, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Is that video trying to show why we should or why we shouldn't have post-processing shaders? It looks like the latter.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 14:25 Is that video trying to show why we should or why we shouldn't have post-processing shaders? It looks like the latter.
I fired the settings a little over-the top to compensate for my depressive personality, but anyone could set it according to their preference of course.
raevol

Post by raevol »

drummyfish wrote: 08 Dec 2017, 15:49 to compensate for my depressive personality
I almost just spit tea all over my keyboard, hahaha.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

To be clear, I'm not going to work on that compositing framework anytime soon. You're welcome to pick up where I left off.

I don't think it would take long either, seems like most of it has already been done for us by the wonderful xarray (though I wish he would reply to my issue report :lol: ).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Spring has arrived - and OpenMW still lacks a new version release.
I guess we are still waiting for AnyOldName3 to finish work on his shadow branch? If so, when will this feature be ready for release? (Ready as in "complete, merged, and tested".)

Looking at the current roadmap, we have 66 solved issues so far. Maybe we should consider an intermediate release, if the shadows feature isn't ready any time soon. (That'd also relieve some pressure from AnyOldName3.) However, there are two problems with this approach:
1. We may lack interesting features. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)
2. There are no solved issues for OpenMW-CS yet. (Please correct me even more if I'm wrong!)

To be honest, I planned to contribute some minor edits for the editor, but I got a little bit distracted along the way, leaving me with an ever-growing semi-elaborate concept of improving usability and visuals. Nothing to be bothered with yet.
Anyway, unelsson recently began to work on OpenMW-CS, so that may be a start. Still not much progress on the editor's side.

What do you think? Waiting for the shadows or having a (mostly) patch release?