Help for master's thesis. Is OpenMW ok for my project?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Khrono

Help for master's thesis. Is OpenMW ok for my project?

Post by Khrono »

Hi everyone,
I hope this is the right forum section.
I'm starting my master's degree thesis in computer science and looking for the perfect environment for my research work.

My goal is to gather player behaviour data and map it into a suitable Bartle type. Given a pretrained Neural Network that, for each archetype values, gives out a quest pattern, secondary quests are selected from a db with the pattern given in output by the neural network. The idea is to offer the player secondary quests that are tied to his archetype.

What I'm looking for: 1) A dataset of accessible in-game quest, so that I can label it and create a suitable training set for my NN. 2) An event system so I can change the player archetype % at runtime 3) The possibility to write code in a Turing complete programming language so I can use external API for Neural Networks.

I'm looking for something already made because I would like to focus on this topics rather than creating a new rpg ad hoc.
I know it's a lot to ask for, but it's experimental and I'm trying to figure out if it doable =)

Do you think that is possible in a reasonable way with OpenMW?

Thank you =)
DestinedToDie

Re: Help for master's thesis. Is OpenMW ok for my project?

Post by DestinedToDie »

I won't pretend I understood even half of that, but...
Khrono wrote: 26 Oct 2017, 22:02My goal is to gather player behaviour data
How do you intend to gather player behavior data? Are you going to have players play Morrowind on your computer and record the experience or do you intend to incorporate something into OpenMW that would spy on the actions of players using the engine? If it's the latter, I would recommend asking a server admin for their TES3MP serverlogs, which pretty much already do that. You will of course be recording the multiplayer experience instead of the single player Morrowind experience.
Deltaxus

Post by Deltaxus »

What I'm looking for: 1) A dataset of accessible in-game quest, so that I can label it and create a suitable training set for my NN. 2) An event system so I can change the player archetype % at runtime 3) The possibility to write code in a Turing complete programming language so I can use external API for Neural Networks.
About 3) The Morrowind scripting language is presumably turing complete (aside from the finite memory limitation). You are able to modify the scriptengine in order to call a function from an external DLL (assuming a WinNT system) with your NN implementation - I assume Tensorflow. However, the MW scripting language is not a language I would recommend for any serious productive work outside Morrowind. It's missing important core features for what you want to achieve, most notably multithreading support, arrays, inbuild basic mathematical functions, ... . The language is really just made for the requirements of the game and not general programming tasks (despite its turing completeness) It only gets better in the later games. It's better to go the other way around, for example by implementing Python bindings for OpenMW. I know a bit about neuronal network (aka multilinear algebra based) AI, but I am a lot more familiar with logical and statistical AI, so I can't help you with the rest. Good luck !
Khrono

Post by Khrono »

I'll see if I can manage to make it work. Thank you for the info =)