AnKi 3D engine

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Br0ken

AnKi 3D engine

Post by Br0ken »

Just look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va7nZ2EFR4c

http://anki3d.org/ (Blog is very informative)

AnKi 3D engine is an open source game engine started in mid 2007. It is written in C++ and OpenGL (and Vulkan now) and it uses quite a few third party open source libraries.
  • Cluster based deferred shading
  • Physically based rendering
  • Volumetric lights/fog
  • Indirect lighting
  • Shadow mapping
  • Tonemapping
  • SSAO
  • HDR
  • Screenspace and cubemap reflections
  • Skeletal animation
  • Physics based in Newton Game Dynamics
  • LUA scripting
Thunderforge

Re: AnKi 3D engine

Post by Thunderforge »

Is there a way that this would help OpenMW development or were you just posting this to let people know about it for their own edification?
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Both, I hope. ;)
It would be cool if this somehow could help bring more features to OpenMW.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

looks amazing, openmw could benefit from this
raevol

Post by raevol »

Does it do exteriors? All the media I see from a quick glance is only interiors?
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

raevol wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 11:17 Does it do exteriors? All the media I see from a quick glance is only interiors?
Interiors only, at this time. Terrain is planned for the future.

It's rarely to see most of these features in open source game engines. Clustered shading seems to be a cool thing.
raven

Post by raven »

Imho the best way to judge such projects is to look at the demos/examples, not features lists.

I think it has been mention already in other threads, but there is also the issue that MW assets were not made with modern rendering/lighting in mind.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Looks like AnKi 3D supports only Windows and Linux. I suppose MacOS users will be unhappy, if we ever switch from OSG to AnKi 3D.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

akortunov wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 13:29 Looks like AnKi 3D supports only Windows and Linux. I suppose MacOS users will be unhappy, if we ever switch from OSG to AnKi 3D.
Hold on, i just propose to look on some feature implementation, not completely switch. :)
raven wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 12:43 I think it has been mention already in other threads, but there is also the issue that MW assets were not made with modern rendering/lighting in mind.
I know, but we can't rely only on standart assets forever. Even vanilla Morrowind have a MGE XE with PBR.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There was at one time an attempt to make a Morrowind Original Asset Replacement, where all vanilla meshes, sounds, animations and assets like that would be remade by fans with a more open licence. It kind of fell through, though. If it were ever finished, then the new assets could be created in a way more compatible with modern rendering techniques.

There's also a second Morrowind original asset replacement project, Morrowind, which aims to recreate Morrowind in Skyrim's engine. From previous discussions, they don't seem too keen to share their work, so we can't convert it to a format OpenMW can load.

If we're really lucky when OpenMW is done and starts implementing things the original engine never had, we'll end up with a load of new interest from modders, and another attempt at an asset replacement with an open licence can be made.