OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Argoon

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by Argoon »

cc9cii wrote:An update - https://youtu.be/mM1lE8frdYc

Now the visible meshes move and a light source was added but there are many issues still. The lamp doesn't collide with the ceiling and I'm not sure how to add a flame to the lamp. The impulse from the collision with the player is way too large. Just a small bump sends the lamp flying off...
Oblivion uses Havok you are using Bullet i assume, so perhaps both physics engines use different calculations for forces, mass, etc, is very improbable that you will have a 1 to 1 conversion between to different physics engines, so adaptation will need to be made.

Btw hi guys "new" user here. (old viewer of the forum but never registered until now) ;)
Darklight

Post by Darklight »

anahuj wrote:
EmperorArthur wrote:Scrawl and Zini have both said NO!!! to this multiple times.

I've looked at the feasibility of expanding our NIF importer to use later versions of texture files, so moders would have more readily available content, but was shot down immediately.
I don't know reason for "no" but use of later versions of texture files has been forbidden by Bethesda: Oblivion textures/models cannot be used in a Morrowind mod.

Maybe better to document OpenMW and Morrowind functionality. Then document Oblivion functionality as starting point to OpenOblivion. I have decoded Oblivion and Fallout 3 ESM/ESP file formats extensively but I don't know how the data is used in the engine.
That isnt going to stop anyone from doing it. And if iam not mistaken it has been done already and posted on youtube as well as the nexes not the entire content of oblivion but sure bits and pieces of it
ezze

Post by ezze »

The real answer is not "No".

The real answer is on the terms of:
"We do not have the workforce, and we won't it even consider it at least until 1.0. Even then supporting Oblivion is a large project on its own so we will probably focus on Morrowind. Still if you do have the workforce feel free to fork just like the tes3mp project is doing in this very moment. After 1.0 we might consider a merge."
micidre

Post by micidre »

Has this been abandoned?
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

micidre wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 07:31 Has this been abandoned?
Abandoned by whom? As the post right before it says, if you would like to fork the project the same way that tes3mp has, you're welcome to add the code and make plans to merge it later. But the current project maintainers do not plan on doing this, and nobody has thus far tried to port all of Oblivion over.
micidre

Post by micidre »

Thunderforge wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 22:05
micidre wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 07:31 Has this been abandoned?
Abandoned by whom? As the post right before it says, if you would like to fork the project the same way that tes3mp has, you're welcome to add the code and make plans to merge it later. But the current project maintainers do not plan on doing this, and nobody has thus far tried to port all of Oblivion over.
Nevermind I was just being dumb. PS I havent been on the forum for a while xD
JohnMaster

Post by JohnMaster »

Thunderforge wrote: 20 Jul 2017, 22:05 Abandoned by whom?
I'm more concerned about cc9cii. I hope it's only good things in real life that have kept cc9cii away.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Thanks for your kind thoughts, I'm still around occasionally and I've not abandoned anything yet. (although no updates for 6 to 7 months sure looks like it)

I will need to find a good stretch of time to think about how to re-design the animation code to work with ragdoll (my current implementation is at a dead-end and not worth trying to improve) and finding time is not so easy at the moment. It didn't help that my main dev box died back in Jan and setting up a new one wasn't straight-forward due to it being on Windows 10 and the dependencies libraries for DX9 no longer available. By the time I found a workaround the momentum was lost and since then I kept getting distracted... (PoGO Gen2, BoTW, legendary raids, etc)

Now 6 or so months later I am looking at parts of my code and saying to myself "what the !@# was I thinking, that can't possibly work!"
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'm glad you're back! :) We've been singing your praise in your absence regardless. ;)
JohnMaster

Post by JohnMaster »

Great to hear it wasn't anything major. Though, losing a setup can quite annoying. Thanks for the update! A fresh set of eyes usually puts stuff in perspective.