Testing "best of Morrowind mods" lists

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Thunderforge

Testing "best of Morrowind mods" lists

Post by Thunderforge »

I've added a bunch of mods to the OpenMW mod compatibility list from several "best of Morrowind mods" lists on Reddit and gaming sites. I figure that if someone is wanting to try out Morrowind for the first time and they decide to do it on OpenMW, then they would probably google "best Morrowind mods" and then wonder if OpenMW supports it.

Pretty much all of them are listed as "Unknown" right now, so if you're looking for mods to test, those would be great ones to try.
Frik

Re: Testing "best of Morrowind mods" lists

Post by Frik »

I think it's as good a place as any to start, but "Best" is completely subjective. My current active install includes over 60 mods and not even one of them is listed on PC Gamers ; "The best Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind mods". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Fair point; they certainly aren't objectively the best (and there's a few that I'm really wondering why they're even on the list). My point was really to list the mods that people will find out about if they google what Morrowind mods they should install.

If you've got mods in your loadout that aren't formally tested, feel free to add them to the lists too!
lysol

Post by lysol »

I agree with Thunderforge, I see reddit users all the time that go for mods recommended in mod lists like these. Good initiative.
Darklocq

Post by Darklocq »

lysol wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 13:07 I agree with Thunderforge, I see reddit users all the time that go for mods recommended in mod lists like these. Good initiative.
Concur. Whether anyone here thinks they're the best or not is irrelevant; it really is likely that people will seek out such lists for their first build. I know I did, though I agree my current mod list – months later – has little in common with those lists, beyond Better Bodies and other graphics improvements.

Going down those subjective but popular "best" lists will also fill gaps in the huge pile of testing I'm doing, which is largely driven by whim, and is really heavy on companions, landmasses, housemods, and new gear (and stuff for Hlaalu, MG, and FG), but light on quest, creature, alchemy, and realism/difficulty mods, and anything focused on other factions.

Re: "If you've got mods in your loadout that aren't formally tested, feel free to add them to the lists too!" – I would encourage anyone who wants to help to go through my big list and start adding entries at Mod Status for those tagged as Working or Working with patch in my list. All my time on this is taken adding more mods to my testing list, and reporting the results and how to work around issues; I have not had any time to spare to work the "cream" of that list into the Mod Status page and its tables.

Might also be worth testing whatever abot reviewed in his long-running Morrowind Modding Showcases series on YouTube.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Adding the Morrowind Mod Showcases seems like a great idea. I suppose we could start with the best of the year lists.